The Student Room Group

16+ Entrance Examinations

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place but basically, I was wondering if I could get some advice on 16+ entrance exams.
I'm thinking of applying to different independent schools for sixth form but I'm not sure whether I will need tuition in order to pass these exams.
Most of these entrance exams will be in the potential A-Level subjects that I want to study but are the entrance exams competitive because if they are, then should I get a tutor?
Thanks so much in advance for any help!
Original post by EP365
I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place but basically, I was wondering if I could get some advice on 16+ entrance exams.
I'm thinking of applying to different independent schools for sixth form but I'm not sure whether I will need tuition in order to pass these exams.
Most of these entrance exams will be in the potential A-Level subjects that I want to study but are the entrance exams competitive because if they are, then should I get a tutor?
Thanks so much in advance for any help!

If you don't mind mentioning the names of the schools, it would be helpful - there are different forums for a few schools and you can find information there.

Unless there are topics you find very difficult, you shouldn't need a tutor.
A lot of exams are based on basic GCSE level/Advanced KS3 topics because they don't know what everyone's been taught.

(Also, what are the subjects you're planning on taking)
Reply 2
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
If you don't mind mentioning the names of the schools, it would be helpful - there are different forums for a few schools and you can find information there.

Unless there are topics you find very difficult, you shouldn't need a tutor.
A lot of exams are based on basic GCSE level/Advanced KS3 topics because they don't know what everyone's been taught.

(Also, what are the subjects you're planning on taking)

I'm planning on taking Maths, English lit, French and biology/chemistry.
And I'm thinking of schools like Kings College Wimbledom, Epsom college, JAGS etc.
Original post by EP365
And I'm thinking of schools like Kings College Wimbledom, Epsom college, JAGS etc.

(expand on etc.)

I didn't apply for those three, but I know there is a Kings College Wimbledon thread from a couple of months ago that you could look at and would probably be helpful.

I don't know about the other two, sorry.
Original post by EP365

I took quite a few 16+ entrance exams and pretty much didn't revise at all. Didn't even do that well in a lot of them but still was offered a place at everywhere I applied to. At most places the entrance exams are more or less just procedure and really it's more about your GCSE predictions and what you can offer the school in terms of music/sport, etc. The exception being if you are going for some sort of academic scholarship in which they would expect you to perform well in the entrance exam.
Original post by will_jg
I took quite a few 16+ entrance exams and pretty much didn't revise at all. Didn't even do that well in a lot of them but still was offered a place at everywhere I applied to. At most places the entrance exams are more or less just procedure and really it's more about your GCSE predictions and what you can offer the school in terms of music/sport, etc. The exception being if you are going for some sort of academic scholarship in which they would expect you to perform well in the entrance exam.

My GCSE Predictions are terrible but I got a place at a very good private school....

Your predictions do make a difference in some schools, but not all.
Reply 6
(expand on etc.)

I didn't apply for those three, but I know there is a Kings College Wimbledon thread from a couple of months ago that you could look at and would probably be helpful.

I don't know about the other two, sorry.

Thank you! (:
Which schools did you apply for?
Original post by EP365
Thank you! (:
Which schools did you apply for?

North London Collegiate, Habs Girls, and St Paul's.

I only got a place at North London Collegiate (I wasn't expecting a place at St Paul's - and everyone I know who applied to Habs didn't get in,).
I'm probably not going to be going though.

Just exam wise, Maths and bio/chem won't be too hard (as in you shouldn't need a tutor - it should all be GCSE level), but especially for Bio, it would be good to look at questions where you're expected to give longer answers. (Someone said their biology exam had a 20 mark question in).
I don't know what the French and English Lit will be like so I can't really say, but do practice English Lit papers and read a lot and get a teacher to create essay titles for you on unseen poetry etc.
Reply 8
North London Collegiate, Habs Girls, and St Paul's.

I only got a place at North London Collegiate (I wasn't expecting a place at St Paul's - and everyone I know who applied to Habs didn't get in,).
I'm probably not going to be going though.

Just exam wise, Maths and bio/chem won't be too hard (as in you shouldn't need a tutor - it should all be GCSE level), but especially for Bio, it would be good to look at questions where you're expected to give longer answers. (Someone said their biology exam had a 20 mark question in).
I don't know what the French and English Lit will be like so I can't really say, but do practice English Lit papers and read a lot and get a teacher to create essay titles for you on unseen poetry etc.

Why won't you be going to North London Collegiate?
Original post by EP365
Why won't you be going to North London Collegiate?

I didn't get enough of a bursary (I have weird family problems and it's complex) so I can't go.
Reply 10
I didn't get enough of a bursary (I have weird family problems and it's complex) so I can't go.

Oh okay - so are you going to go to your current schools sixth form?
Original post by EP365
Oh okay - so are you going to go to your current schools sixth form?

If I get the grades, I'll go to King's Maths school.
Otherwise I'll stay.
im doing an entrance exam for habs girls on friday for maths, chemistry, biology and physics. i'm fairly confident for maths as i was told it was mostly algebra but the other three i'm very anxious about. Any advice r guidance would be appreciated
[quote=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];74451518]im doing an entrance exam for habs girls on friday for maths, chemistry, biology and physics. i'm fairly confident for maths as i was told it was mostly algebra but the other three i'm very anxious about. Any advice r guidance would be appreciated
Hiya, I'm sitting the exam in like 3 days and was wondering how it was? Im doing maths, chem, bio and physcology. If you have any advice or could tell me if the exam was on the whole gcse syllabus that would be super helpful!!
Original post by ishatibrewala
Hiya, I'm sitting the exam in like 3 days and was wondering how it was? Im doing maths, chem, bio and physcology. If you have any advice or could tell me if the exam was on the whole gcse syllabus that would be super helpful!!

um maths you basically just have to be quite good in algebra
biology they kinda had two section and section a was compulsory and section B had a range of questions from different topics in the Gcse course so you could just choose your strengths
chemistry there were quite a lot of balancing equations and that type of stuff
Reply 15
Hi, I'm doing maths bio chem and psychology now for the entrance exams. Any tips? ☺️
Hi I’m applying this year for bio chem and phycology -what should I learn
Hi I’m applying this year for similar subjects what should I learn any tips?
[quote=:)Esss[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];80661170]um maths you basically just have to be quite good in algebra
biology they kinda had two section and section a was compulsory and section B had a range of questions from different topics in the Gcse course so you could just choose your strengths
chemistry there were quite a lot of balancing equations and that type of stuff
Hi, I’m doing the math exam next week, and I was wondering how hard are they and what topics did they ask ? (If you can remember lol)
Reply 19
Original post by Pinkboi234
Hi, I’m doing the math exam next week, and I was wondering how hard are they and what topics did they ask ? (If you can remember lol)

Same..... Help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending