Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Would you recommend a deferred entry for Medicine?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

I've received and offer from King's to study medicine in Sept 2016 but am wondering if people (especially medical students) would recommend perhaps deferring and taking a gap year? I love the idea of getting a job, saving up some money and going travelling at the end of the year but is this a good idea? I guess I just want a bit of a break before the horrors start of medical school (ahh) and would also like to see the world and gain some more experience, but at the same time I guess I could just go travelling in the summers without actually taking a whole year out right?

I really don't know what to do
    If I do defer I'm also afraid on missing out on all the experiences that my friends will be having in uni and freshers week and being older than everyone else next year... What do I do!

I have decided to take a gap year next year, I have a deferred place at Kings, and I think it will be the best choice! After starting medical school it will be at least 10 years before you could even have the possibility of taking a year out as medicine is not a particularly flexible career...Personally, I'm living my life and seeing the world while I'm still young and have no ties to stop me.
    This is totally personal but a gap year is definitely worth thinking about!!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.