Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you break off a relationship that lasted nearly 3 years.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by Anonymous)
    But that isnt the only reason I'm staying with him :/
    Then it's obviously not as black and white as you're making it sound. TSR can be a good sounding board in these cases, but every relationship is different and I wouldn't walk away from this thread thinking "Well, 3 people agreed with me, so it's obviously the right choice". People have different things going on in their lives at different times, and a good relationship is about making it work when that inbalance exists, if you do actually want to make it work. It's all well and good saying that he never wants to travel and you do, but does he actually never want to travel? Or can he not right now? What are his life goals? What are yours? Why are they so different?

Do you see a future with him? Have you ever seen a future with him? These are the questions you need to ask yourself.

Personally, for me it would come down to this: Do I truly love the person and see a future with them? If so I'd do whatever it took to make it work in the long run, even if it meant making some compromises in the short term.

(Original post by lucy_98)
    I did in December. I loved that boy, so, so much. But we were different people by the time three years had passed. We'd grown up together but our interests had changed. We had different ideas of the future and some of his thoughts I just couldn't understand. If you don't want the same things, I think it's a perfectly logical thing to do.
    (Original post by Alice__90)
    I married very young (21). We were together for 5 years and we seperated after realising we wanted different things. I'm 25 now and I'm just beginning to discover and learn about myself.

You can love someone but ultimately if it's not right it's not right. I made the mistake of continuing a relationship to the point of marriage because I was too "comfortable" and afraid of letting others down. Unfortunately I let myself down in the process.
    (Original post by insert-username)
    I broke off a 4 year relationship back in december for similar reasons among many other things.

You've already said it's going nowhere, your life plans aren't compatible- neither of you are willing to bend for the other. Why waste more time dragging along a futile relationship? You'll only make an inevitable break up harder in the future by adding more years.

It doesn't mean your time together wasn't worthwhile, and it doesn't diminish the value of the relationship you had. Stop wasting each other's time and let it go.
    Its all over 😭😭😭

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Its all over 😭😭😭
    *hugs* I know you'll probably be questioning whether you did the right thing but time is the best healer. Well done, it's not easy to do what you did. Keep your head up, you'll be fine.

(Original post by Alice__90)
    *hugs* I know you'll probably be questioning whether you did the right thing but time is the best healer. Well done, it's not easy to do what you did. Keep your head up, you'll be fine.
    Thank you for the support. This really sucks.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.