Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My twin sister is going to choose the same course as me!!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So my sister [Ashley] all of a sudden wants to do the exact same course as me and also wants apply to the same unis WHICH IS SOOOO BLOODY ANNOYING

Over the years, we've been compared hundreds of times & I'm soo tired of that !!
    I want to go a uni where NOBODY knows that I'm a twin and that I could have my own identity!

Growing up, everyone in my family pretty much knew that I'd ended up being a vet cos of how much I love being around with animals.
    While my sister on the otherhand was never interested in animals, so that was one thing I knew which separated us apart!!

I'm the quiet one, & nobody notices me when she's around while she's the LOUD one & is always in the spotlight. I'm always called Ashley's twin sister!!

So last night, my sis just out of the blue said that cos she doesn't know what sort of degree she's interested in and to make things easy for her she'll just do what'll do.

I got really mad at her & explained to her nicely at first why she can't do that which turned out into a huge argument!

Talking to her won't work as she's stubborn & my parents were like it's her choice no matter how many times I've explained to them that I'm sick being compared to her.

I'm in my first year of A levels, & she has pretty much ruined my future and I'm being completely unmotivated now! There's no point of studying tbh!

Any advice!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Have you tried saying/showing her that picking a subject on a whim because she doesn't know what she wants to do, particularly something like vet med or whatever you want to do, is a huge mistake? If she has no real interest in it then she'd find it difficult to apply, and she'd struggle at uni.

Don't let this put you off what you want to do - it sounds like it's very important to you.

You are twins for a reason.

Saying that though, you should have a serious talk with her.

Why don't you sit down with her and help her to figure out what she actually might like to do? It's very unlikely in this situation that she will end up on the same course at the same uni as you so I wouldn't worry. Concentrate on getting the grades and experience YOU need and help her figure out what she wants to do seperately.

Just focus on getting good grades!
    If your sister isnt interested in animals then explain to her that being a vet isnt what shes gonna want to do!
    A career is a long term commitment! Its something youre gonna do for the rest of your life so she needs to realize that this isnt something shes gonna want to do.
    Hopefully youll lead a happy life and shell realize that its not what she wants to do!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.