The Student Room Group

Breaking off a 3 year close friendship

So I've been very close friends (I would say my best friend) with this girl for three years and we've generally got on quite well. At one point a few months ago we became very close as we were living with each other for about a week.
However, she's a very stubborn and argumentative person and recently we've drifted apart from each other over her being forceful with her opinions to the point it becomes offensive. I had been extremely busy over Easter with family and didn't really text her as much as I normally do. We met up on the weekend with a couple of other friends and she was annoyed that I didn't keep in contact with her over the week and also was quite jealous I was talking to my other friend a lot (who she finds 'annoying' and constantly bad mouths)
When I returned back to school she was really moody with me, which I didn't really pay attention to as she often acts like that. Later on in the week she said she doesn't think we'll be friends after we go to university
This really hurt and I don't know what to do. Part of me is really angry that she doesn't value our friendship at all bc I know she doesn't like getting emotionally attached to people. But I'm also upset that our friendship is ending this way

Any advice of what to do?
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been very close friends (I would say my best friend) with this girl for three years and we've generally got on quite well. At one point a few months ago we became very close as we were living with each other for about a week.
However, she's a very stubborn and argumentative person and recently we've drifted apart from each other over her being forceful with her opinions to the point it becomes offensive. I had been extremely busy over Easter with family and didn't really text her as much as I normally do. We met up on the weekend with a couple of other friends and she was annoyed that I didn't keep in contact with her over the week and also was quite jealous I was talking to my other friend a lot (who she finds 'annoying' and constantly bad mouths)
When I returned back to school she was really moody with me, which I didn't really pay attention to as she often acts like that. Later on in the week she said she doesn't think we'll be friends after we go to university
This really hurt and I don't know what to do. Part of me is really angry that she doesn't value our friendship at all bc I know she doesn't like getting emotionally attached to people. But I'm also upset that our friendship is ending this way

Any advice of what to do?

Cut her off. Your bound to find better friends, no need to chill with people of such scummy personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Friends come and go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mrnazz00923
Cut her off. Your bound to find better friends, no need to chill with people of such scummy personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. However, we're going to the same uni and same course so I'll be inevitability seeing her next year which will be awkward, I hate confrontational stuff, but I also don't want to be a push over. I feel as if she's going to crawl back to me bc I'm convenient and she already knows me there.
It sounds like she may be feeling insecure about the friendship, sure, but what makes you think she doesn't value it?

It seems like your friend's not been treating you very nicely, and has been taking out some of her issues on you. But I am not clear on how the frienship is ending? You could keep this person as a friend if you wanted to.

She could be acting that way because she is going through some issues that are upsetting her. It could be anything: perhaps family problems, perhaps she has a health issue. Or perhaps someone spread a rumour about you which has reached her ears. You never know. These things usually don't happen for no reason.

What you should do is sit down with her at a time and place that is convenient for you both, with no one else around. Then you can ask her why she's been treating you in the way that she has. Explain how it affects you. Do not confront her or accuse her as the goal is to try to understand her. And, hopefully, to get her to understand you! With a bit of luck and effort, you might be able to heal the friendship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending