The Student Room Group

So in the new system you can't drop an linear A level right?

********* A linear not an linear soz typed quickly

I chose chem, bio, english lit and spanish and they will all be linear. I chose 4 incase I get like AABA and the uni wants AAA and so my fourth subject could save me. Spanish is very similar to french so I'm doing pretty well so far and I've seen the current A level and it looks alright so I chose it as a "soft" subject incase I do badly in the 3rd a level.

So apparently you must take all linear subjects for two years...but can I drop one and gain a separate AS? Or do I have to study them all for two years?
I'm beginning to have doubts because I don't know how much harder A levels will be in the new system...so should I just take a gamble and focus on 3 a levels or do four in hope of the fourth possibly saving me for a university place in case I don't do as well in the 3rd? I honestly think english lit would be more favourable than spanish, so I don't want to do chem, bio and spanish without english lit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by geniequeen48

I chose chem, bio, english lit and spanish and they will all be linear. I chose 4 incase I get like AABA and the uni wants AAA and so my fourth subject could save me. Spanish is very similar to french so I'm doing pretty well so far and I've seen the current A level and it looks alright so I chose it as a "soft" subject incase I do badly in the 3rd a level.

So apparently you must take all linear subjects for two years...but can I drop one and gain a separate AS? Or do I have to study them all for two years?
I'm beginning to have doubts because I don't know how much harder A levels will be in the new system...so should I just take a gamble and focus on 3 a levels or do four in hope of the fourth possibly saving me for a university place in case I don't do as well in the 3rd? I honestly think english lit would be more favourable than spanish, so I don't want to do chem, bio and spanish without english lit.

As far as exam regulations go you could completely drop an A level or switch an A level to just an AS at any time. All of the Universities I've checked recently will only require you to complete three.

What you will be allowed to do by your school or college depends only on what they decide to allow. Different schools are approaching the new A levels with different strategies so you need to talk to them about what your options could be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geniequeen48

Depends on the school. This year we're letting ours drop to an AS even if they only study the new a levels. Next year we're allowing only the very strongest to start on three because the step up is huge.

I'm currently teaching A level computer science and the step up is vast. It's a much more fun qualification to do in terms of challenge and range but less fun if you know that you need that A.
Oh okay thanks guys, anyone else?
bump

Quick Reply

Latest