The Student Room Group

With a GF, how do you deal with a friend who is better than you?

When your gf sees someone else as better than you what you are supposed to do if you love her? Do you have to win her mind somehow, or does it mean it's completely over?

Most guys go into control-freak mode I reckon and create bad situations. I think the best thing to do is to remind her that you love her maybe? Then hopefully she doesn't leave you for him. Also, with the guy, you can't really tell him to stop being awesome, so maybe you have to keep it all to yourself and be honest with him that he's a great guy and that you respect him. Make him know you're not worth losing as a friend too.

If she leaves you for him then I guess all you have to do is move on and find someone else? But when the emotions are deep that's very hard to do.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
When your gf sees someone else as better than you what you are supposed to do if you love her? Do you have to win her mind somehow, or does it mean it's completely over?

Most guys go into control-freak mode I reckon and create bad situations. I think the best thing to do is to remind her that you love her maybe? Then hopefully she doesn't leave you for him. Also, with the guy, you can't really tell him to stop being awesome, so maybe you have to keep it all to yourself and be honest with him that he's a great guy and that you respect him. Make him know you're not worth losing as a friend too.

If she leaves you for him then I guess all you have to do is move on and find someone else? But when the emotions are deep that's very hard to do.

I this was to happen to me I would assume she does not love any more, and regardless of how I feel, for me it is game over.
nobody is better than me so it isn't an issue
Original post by ODES_PDES
I this was to happen to me I would assume she does not love any more, and regardless of how I feel, for me it is game over.
This is the problem. People are very fickle and also the steal-your-girl meta is strong in British society. Men are peacocks here, so 99% of the time it's not worth fussing about.

While writing this I realised how to deal with it. Gotta show her he's a peacock (assuming that he is). Ty for discourse.

I think this is the reason they had duels in the past. I think it's quite a good idea tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Last_Melon
This is the problem. People are very fickle and also the steal-your-girl meta is strong in British society. Men are peacocks here, so 99% of the time it's not worth fussing about.

While writing this I realised how to deal with it. Gotta show her he's a peacock (assuming that he is). Ty for discourse.

I think this is the reason they had duels in the past. I think it's quite a good idea tbh.

Good luck bro.
Reply 5
Do you know that she thinks he's 'better', or do you just think he's better? (I mean, I presume she hasn't told you[?] - but I guess you could tell from more subtle signs of how she behaves or things she says.)
Original post by Ribbits
Do you know that she thinks he's 'better', or do you just think he's better? (I mean, I presume she hasn't told you[?] - but I guess you could tell from more subtle signs of how she behaves or things she says.)

Yes it's clear to me by tone of voice and body language that she has stronger feelings for him.

Quick Reply

Latest