The Student Room Group

Piano diploma-what next after grade 8 piano?

I recently passed my grade 8 piano exam and I'm wondering what a diploma is and if it worth doing. I like music and stuff but I don't really consider it to be a career prospect. That being said, what are my other options after grade 8 piano? Thanks 😀
Original post by Darwin's finch
I recently passed my grade 8 piano exam and I'm wondering what a diploma is and if it worth doing. I like music and stuff but I don't really consider it to be a career prospect. That being said, what are my other options after grade 8 piano? Thanks 😀

A diploma is the next logical step, but involves a lot of work. I haven't done one myself but was given a copy of my teacher's diploma notes and it is pretty intense. There are options in performance and teaching in the DipABRSM, depending whether you want to continue to play for pleasure or would like the option of teaching in the future, which is pretty useful to have as a skill should you ever need some more money on the side of whatever career you end up in. If you don't fancy teaching, the Music Performance DipABRSM would probably suit you pretty well. I've linked the syllabus below.

http://www.abrsm.org/fileadmin/user_upload/diplomas/performance/performanceDiplomaFull.pdf
Original post by Darwin's finch

Normally people do the first diploma which is an atcl or an abrsm dip which includes dreaded quick study lol
Abrsm have got a new one which is like an as in comparison to an a level so google that and if you not really interested then theres no point as they are like £250 and they are easy to fail :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest