The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseadagg3r
Sometimes you just have to discuss more than one thing in a 10 minute slot, and they usually understand that. I've had to do it a number of times. I say get yourself an appointment for when you can, and see if you can get some help. If you leave it until you really feel that you need help, then you'll still have to wait until you can get an appointment and that can be really difficult

Problem I have is that it's difficult for me to book anything at the moment as they keep changing my shifts at work and it's getting to the point where they're ringing me everyday changing my shifts. :faceplam: I think I saw one for Wednesday with my doctor which is one of my days off next week so I think I'm going to go ahead and book it - I can always go back online and change it.

Original post by Sabertooth
I take 50mg amitriptyline daily for New Daily Persistent Headaches and it has helped me a lot.

My drug book says to look out for hyponatremia if you take both and that the combo can lead to higher TCA levels and hence higher chance of side effects. The dose for depression is higher than the dose for pain. I'd have a word with your pain doc as well as your psychiatrist and see what they think - sometimes they don't like stepping on each other's toes and they're best qualified to advise you.

And btw, I also get really confused with taking tablets, so I got a weekly pill box - that way I only have to fill it once a week and don't miss anything. Makes me feel like a right old fogey but yeah very helpful indeed :tongue:

Haven't heard that saying for awhile! Reminds me of a film I watched coming back from America. :giggle: "you're just a old fogey!"
Original post by Midnightmemories
Problem I have is that it's difficult for me to book anything at the moment as they keep changing my shifts at work and it's getting to the point where they're ringing me everyday changing my shifts. :faceplam: I think I saw one for Wednesday with my doctor which is one of my days off next week so I think I'm going to go ahead and book it - I can always go back online and change it.

Haven't heard that saying for awhile! Reminds me of a film I watched coming back from America. :giggle: "you're just a old fogey!"

Work cant stop you taking time off for a drs appointment, pretty sure they have to honour thdm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Work cant stop you taking time off for a drs appointment, pretty sure they have to honour thdm

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that. It's just a pain in the arse finding cover. They dislike having to find cover at the moment since lots of people are off sick
Original post by Midnightmemories
I know that. It's just a pain in the arse finding cover. They dislike having to find cover at the moment since lots of people are off sick

Thats their problem not yours. If you need to go to the drs and the only time you can be seen is when your working then they have to honour your appointment

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've come to the realisation that I need to go to mental health services again once I'm at uni. I had counselling before and for a while I felt better but I just got really upset and had some horrible thoughts about how I was such a bad person. At the moment I just feel like such a failure at everything and I've honestly not felt so awful in a while :frown:

Anon 6
For several months I've been having flashbacks of a harassment campaign some locals had against me as a teenager which went on for years (it was over something I did in primary school, which didn't harm anyone and no one else gave a crap about). These memories come up randomly and I often get panic attacks as a result. I've tried to talk to others about it but they dismiss it as me being silly and to forget about it as I've ended up "better off" than them and no longer live in my hometown anyway.
Hey guys :hugs:

Was just wondering if any of you suffer from magical thinking from OCD? I've been struggling with this more than any other problem lately and it's getting harder and harder to deal with :frown:

Hope everyone's well and having a good weekend :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Landed safely back in the UK yesterday after a nice break in the USA with my sister. Got ill one day but (for once) both my sisters were nice and helpful about it. So I bounced back quite quickly, by my standards :redface:
Original post by Anonymous
For several months I've been having flashbacks of a harassment campaign some locals had against me as a teenager which went on for years (it was over something I did in primary school, which didn't harm anyone and no one else gave a crap about). These memories come up randomly and I often get panic attacks as a result. I've tried to talk to others about it but they dismiss it as me being silly and to forget about it as I've ended up "better off" than them and no longer live in my hometown anyway.

Have you had any counselling or similar to help you with this?
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hey guys :hugs:

Was just wondering if any of you suffer from magical thinking from OCD? I've been struggling with this more than any other problem lately and it's getting harder and harder to deal with :frown:

Hope everyone's well and having a good weekend :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:h: Hiyya :h:

When I was little I suffered from it a lot, 3 was a bad number and stepping 3 times on the same tile was bad luck (I blame my cousin a little for joking about it once), the only way to erase that bad luck was to spit on the tile before you went back home. :redface: It became a compulsion.

I had a few things like this, although I can't seem to remember atm. It is really tough :frown: I'm sorry that it's affecting you right now.
Having a very bad day with anxiety today and feeling rather depressed about it all, just got back home after trying to distracting myself by going to the book store, it did help a little. I hope reading makes me feel a little better and I can escape my awful thought pattern that I have atm :frown:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:h: Hiyya :h:

When I was little I suffered from it a lot, 3 was a bad number and stepping 3 times on the same tile was bad luck (I blame my cousin a little for joking about it once), the only way to erase that bad luck was to spit on the tile before you went back home. :redface: It became a compulsion.

I had a few things like this, although I can't seem to remember atm. It is really tough :frown: I'm sorry that it's affecting you right now.

Howdy :hugs:

Sorry to hear you have suffered from it in the past too :frown: I go through phrases were my drug/toxin/germ contamiation fears are the strongest OCD symptom and then after that its maybe just pure obsessions and then its magical thinking and so on and right now its the magical thinking phrase though everything else is still there just in smaller amounts. For me, its mainly thinking that if I think something bad it'll happen. Like last night, I thought "there's going to be trouble in my block of flats tonight" and I became so angry at myself for thinking that in case I jinxed myself and trouble did happen in my block even though it was illogical but lo and behold, it did. I thought about it over the night and about 5 mins after I thought, trouble started again. I know it was just a coincidence but try telling my OCD and nerves that :frown: I also get it if I think "what if the house burns down?" so I have to repeatedly check everything is switched off, check my door etc and it goes over and over and over and then I feel like I deserve something bad to happen just because I thought it even though those thoughts pop up out of nowhere, I don't make myself think them :frown:

I was meant to be referred to the CPN so they could assess me for intense therapy and was told by the psychiatrist I'd have an appointment through by a week or two and its been two months now and I've not heard the scrape of a pen. I got some appointment through about a week after my psychiatrist appointment and then they called me and cancelled it and never got back to me with a new one and I've called up their office and they always say they will send me out a letter but nope, nothing :/ its beyond a joke
Original post by Spock's Socks

I've not heard the scrape of a pen.

Completely unrelated, but I love this phrase you've used! :biggrin:
I have an essay to write, and I really just can't. I can't concentrate on anything, and I can't read very well. I'm struggling to understand even simple sentences without having to spend a good few minutes on them. I haven't taken my tablets since Wednesday because I ran out, and I'm waiting to be able to go and pick up my prescription. I have some back up ones at college, so thankfully I'll be able to take it tomorrow morning. I've been having withdrawal symptoms since yesterday, but since it's the weekend it's not even like I can go to my doctor and ask for some to tide me over. I feel so shakey and all over the place, and I feel like my brain and body just aren't working at the same time. Roll on tomorrow!

Edit: I've started worrying about my grades from a couple of years ago, because they were bad. I don't know what it's possible for me to get for my course overall and all the information online means nothing to me. I just can't make sense of it. I don't have a clue whether I'll be able to go uni, but I really want to. I feel like I'm right on the edge of a panic attack, and I'm really irritable. My mum is wandering around the house singing, and she's just got onto the phone with my brother's hospital and is talking about his thoughts which I don't like hearing about. I'm trying to distract myself but it's difficult
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you had any counselling or similar to help you with this?

IVe had cbt but not for this. I'd forgotten about it for ages til fairly recently.
I have an essay to write, and I really just can't. I can't concentrate on anything, and I can't read very well. I'm struggling to understand even simple sentences without having to spend a good few minutes on them. I haven't taken my tablets since Wednesday because I ran out, and I'm waiting to be able to go and pick up my prescription. I have some back up ones at college, so thankfully I'll be able to take it tomorrow morning. I've been having withdrawal symptoms since yesterday, but since it's the weekend it's not even like I can go to my doctor and ask for some to tide me over. I feel so shakey and all over the place, and I feel like my brain and body just aren't working at the same time. Roll on tomorrow!

Edit: I've started worrying about my grades from a couple of years ago, because they were bad. I don't know what it's possible for me to get for my course overall and all the information online means nothing to me. I just can't make sense of it. I don't have a clue whether I'll be able to go uni, but I really want to. I feel like I'm right on the edge of a panic attack, and I'm really irritable. My mum is wandering around the house singing, and she's just got onto the phone with my brother's hospital and is talking about his thoughts which I don't like hearing about. I'm trying to distract myself but it's difficult

For next time, you can get an emergency supply of medication from a walk in center.

Sorry to hear you're not doing so well. I can really sympathize with the lack of concentration - I have so much work due next week and I've done none of it.
For next time, you can get an emergency supply of medication from a walk in center.

Sorry to hear you're not doing so well. I can really sympathize with the lack of concentration - I have so much work due next week and I've done none of it.

Yeah, I read that online. I don't have one near me. There's one about an hour on the bus away, but the busses stop running really early. I live in the middle of nowhere lol. They closed the nearest A&E and everything so the nearest is about an hours drive which is far when you don't drive haha. Absolute pain. I'm gonna ask about my local GP putting in an online repeat prescription order service. That would be great.

I really hate the lack of concentration thing. I have to get my personal statement written very soon so hopefully I come out of it quickly. I hope you manage to get somewhere with your work as well, good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I read that online. I don't have one near me. There's one about an hour on the bus away, but the busses stop running really early. I live in the middle of nowhere lol. They closed the nearest A&E and everything so the nearest is about an hours drive which is far when you don't drive haha. Absolute pain. I'm gonna ask about my local GP putting in an online repeat prescription order service. That would be great.

I really hate the lack of concentration thing. I have to get my personal statement written very soon so hopefully I come out of it quickly. I hope you manage to get somewhere with your work as well, good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see...that is a long way away. You might be able to get your doctor to prescribe you 2 or 3 months at a time depending on the doctor/level of risk - good for saving money too! I don't know about the UK - can you get automatic refills? In the past my psychiatrists have prescribed me 4 or 5 refills on the prescription so it's all automatic and the pharmacy texts me when to pick them up. I have a terrible memory so this works really well for me. But yeah, I don't know if that's possible in the UK? Sorry if it's not! :colondollar:

Ergh personal statements. I loathed writing mine, good luck to you too! Btw if you need an additional pair of eyes to look it over I'd be happy to. :smile:
Oh I see...that is a long way away. You might be able to get your doctor to prescribe you 2 or 3 months at a time depending on the doctor/level of risk - good for saving money too! I don't know about the UK - can you get automatic refills? In the past my psychiatrists have prescribed me 4 or 5 refills on the prescription so it's all automatic and the pharmacy texts me when to pick them up. I have a terrible memory so this works really well for me. But yeah, I don't know if that's possible in the UK? Sorry if it's not! :colondollar:

Ergh personal statements. I loathed writing mine, good luck to you too! Btw if you need an additional pair of eyes to look it over I'd be happy to. :smile:

Yeah, we can. I have to put it in a few days in advance though and I completely forgot, oops! I'm having a weird few months where I just forget everything. I even forgot how I usually manage to sort it so its going well :lol: I'll be able to take one at college tomorrow and Tuesday, and hopefully pick them up from the pharmacy after that :tongue: I'm seeing my GP on Friday so I'll have to bring it up and see if he'll let me have an emergency prescription or something for the inevitable next time haha

Thanks, that's really kind! I might have to take you up on that at some point :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We do have that... it depends on the medication you're on obviously but currently I don't have to see my doctor about my current meds until June, I have automatic refills until then. (And my mum picks them up for me with hers and my dads... We have them all synced up!) we've even gotten two months at a time before which was actually easy to arrange, even for my dad who's on controlled drugs.

--

Kinda glad I didn't book that appointment. Because now they've put me in to work when I was going to go. I haven't been able to sort physio out yet either because of it! I'm hanging in there at the moment. Kinda struggling although I've coped in the past. I hate having no support however I know if I go they won't be able to do anything. I'm not sleeping well. I'm having issues remembering things at work because at times I'm spending all my energy on keeping myself calm.

I'm a ****ing failure really, I'm just too proud to admit it. :sigh:

Latest