The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pathway
Not really? I guess maybe my GP but she just keeps going on about "the future" and "needing to be positive". How I need to do my work so I can get onto a masters. I don't have the motivation to do it though. Just feel so down all the time.

Yeah that must be hard. Sounds like she isn't exploring the problem. Are you discharged from the CMHT now?
So i mentioned at college on Friday how low I've been feeling lately and how I'm struggling to cope with things to the person who is "in charge" of me at college. (for lack of better word lol, she is in charge of helping me with my personal problems.) And now she's going to be phoning up the counsellor tomorrow morning and has decided i need to see her then. She's also said i need to go and see my GP but i honestly don't know how to bring things up and start telling them without them them bringing it up to my parents. :hide:
Health anxiety has been through the roof today. I always have it every day but today its been a whole new level. Just hope it settles back down to its usual-ish level tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
its amazing how much crying can drain your energy! jeez:yawn:
Original post by bullettheory
Yeah that must be hard. Sounds like she isn't exploring the problem. Are you discharged from the CMHT now?

Yeahh, in March. Guess because they couldn't figure out what to do with me. I feel like I just wasted their time and shouldn't have bothered at all.
Its odd how not doing anything in a day can still drive your OCD to make you miserable at times!!!
feel like i'm drowning. can't cope with anything. my dissertation is due in next week and i can't do it. can't do anything. i can't ****ing do this
Original post by WBZ144
Has anyone experienced trying to meet a deadline while having severe depression? How did you get around it and force yourself to stay focused? I may be requesting a deadline extension next week but there is only so long I can get.

Not exactly, but what may help to really just plan to do really little each day, because that makes it easier. Then it may be helpful to discuss the structure of the essay with someone else, because it is easier to get things done, when someone else forces you to focus and is also able to calm you down, when you begin to worry to much. Then just break it down into realy small junks (e.g. introduction, next point, next point) and just work through it, without the ambition to feel motivated or to write intelligent stuff. In case you have time left at the end, you can begin to correct it and make it better.
In addition to keep in close contact with your supervisor may help, because then they know, you work on it and are "just" struggling and then they are more willing to help.
Original post by Pathway
Not really? I guess maybe my GP but she just keeps going on about "the future" and "needing to be positive". How I need to do my work so I can get onto a masters. I don't have the motivation to do it though. Just feel so down all the time.

Well, see it positively, she thinks you have a future! And that you can do it! I know it is ************************, but hopefully you find a way to get the work done, though I know, it is ********* difficult with no hope from within. (I don't think it is necessarily a sign she doesn't care, but she is probably realistic and knows that getting help takes longer than the time you have to get the right grades ...)

Original post by Sabertooth
I was in walmart earlier waiting in line by the check out and there was a middle aged couple and two teenagers (their kids?) in front. One of the teenagers looked at me then nudged the other to look at me then they both started sniggering and whispering. Made me feel so crappy; I don't even know what it is about me. Told my wife later who just said why do I care what a couple of obese redneck kids think about me but you know, I do. No one likes being laughed at doesn't matter who is doing it. I feel really upset about this and I hate that stupid kids still bring me down like this. Sometimes I feel like I must have "loser" tattooed on my forehead. :frown:

You can learn it. But teenagers are just cruel and don't really think a lot about what effect their behaviour has on others and thus often don't really mean it like it comes across ... teenagers who want to annoy someone, allways find a reason, so while it is annoying, I think it is really one of the rare situation, where one has to look over it (or just make a remark towards them) for ones own sake. But it is difficult and of course depends on the exact situation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pathway
feel like i'm drowning. Can't cope with anything. My dissertation is due in next week and i can't do it. Can't do anything. I can't ****ing do this

big hugs!!!!
so im going back to my gp tomorrow after six odd months of stubbornly refusing to acknowledge that my MH is on the downturn again... i dont really know what to expect tbh. not too keen on the idea of a med change but something has to change soon. also i havent really talked about it very much with anybody but over the last year or so ive been thinking about the symptoms of OCD and stuff - the stereotypical compulsions dont fit me at all but the obsessions and accompanying emotions do ... like, i have constant intrusive thoughts (sometimes violent) which i cant control at all and as soon as it pops into my head i cant stop thinking about it and then this overwhelming surge of self hatred comes over me because of these thoughts. i dont think i do have OCD, i was just wondering whether other people with my kind of history have these thoughts too?
Original post by Little Popcorns
Like you said couple of obese redneck kids... It's swings and roundabouts and you just happened to be mature enough not to react whereas they just showed themselves up as nasty little shits. But now that you'll likely never see them again and they're still obese redneck kids... Try not to give it any more time or thought they don't know you or anything about what you've been through so they can piss off :smile:. But also don't feel bad about being offended and feeling bad momentarily it was rude of them! But yeah onwards and upwards (easier said than done I know, but worth a go - fake it til you make it) :hugs:

Thanks for the advice, LP. :smile:

I've actually made a lot of acquaintances and even friends at uni so I guess I just forgot what it feels like when people laugh at me and don't even make much effort to hide it.

They did look like total rednecks though, their parents are probably siblings. :teehee:

How're things with you?

Original post by Nathanielle
You can learn it. But teenagers are just cruel and don't really think a lot about what effect their behaviour has on others and thus often don't really mean it like it comes across ... teenagers who want to annoy someone, allways find a reason, so while it is annoying, I think it is really one of the rare situation, where one has to look over it (or just make a remark towards them) for ones own sake. But it is difficult and of course depends on the exact situation.

I don't know if I agree with you there Nathanielle. I think teenagers should be old and developed enough to realize the effects of their behavior on other people. I had a lot of experience of being bullied at school and I think they meant every minute of it. But yeah, getting wound up and upset is probably a stupid move on my part, looking over it is the best response.
What happened to the OP? :colondollar:
Cos it says i'm thread starter now and i'm not lol :redface:
Original post by Anonymous
What happened to the OP? :colondollar:

Bear with me, trying to sort it out... Seems to have wandered off to the bin on its own for some ridiculous reason :lol:

Hope you're okay!

Edit: should be back now- can you see it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
Bear with me, trying to sort it out... Seems to have wandered off to the bin on its own for some ridiculous reason :lol:

Hope you're okay!

Edit: should be back now- can you see it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: thanks Furryface :colondollar: was just embarrassing being the OP cos it's the first thing ppl see :redface:
and yeah ish i suppose :redface: something might be happening which is gonna be awful but it might not happen so no point worrying about it in case it doesn't :smile:
hope you are ok? :hugs: x
and yep it is back :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous
:lol: thanks Furryface :colondollar: was just embarrassing being the OP cos it's the first thing ppl see :redface:
and yeah ish i suppose :redface: something might be happening which is gonna be awful but it might not happen so no point worrying about it in case it doesn't :smile:
hope you are ok? :hugs: x
and yep it is back :hugs:

Not sure how it's even possible for that to happen tbh but sorted now anyway, TSR's weird sometimes!

Ish is better than not I guess? Hope it's alright if it does happen- always around if can help at all :hugs: but yeah, that's definitely a good way of looking at it!

Ish too probably, not sure. I've had worse days so that's good I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Happy new thread guys!

Back at the GP tomorrow :eek: Ever since they increased my Sertraline I've been feeling worse and my sleep is worse than ever. My exams start 2 weeks today and I haven't even thought about revision yet. Not sure what to say tomorrow.

Spoilered for grossness.

Spoiler

Also had a chat with my personal tutor and she was lovely, she said I could put my exams off until August if I wanted to. Not sure what to do.
Spoke to soon :redface:
Just had the most awful heart thing idek what it was, felt like being stabbed in the chest repeatedly and was all tight :/
just had to lie in bed and wait for it to go off which it eventually did after an hour :redface:
idk what it was because have had stuff like that before, quite regularly but never that painful tbh

Hope everyone is ok :hugs: x
i tried making a thread for this but it hasnt loaded! can anyone help me?

I have been suffering from symptoms of depression since autumn last year- and it affected my studying.recently now, its become very bad. i havent ever been diagnosed with depression before, its the first time it has happened to me. i became very withdrawn, unmotivated, crying endlessly, have no motivation so on, i was scared to talk to people about it and tried to ignore it. i ended up getting alot of anxiety when being in public. So i was encouraged to see my gp (like literally forced, as i mentally and physically did not want to leave my house and had not done so for a while) and get help. she told me it was depression/low mood caused by stress.she wrote a letter for me to support my Extenuating circumstances form. in the letter she advised that the note would be taken in great consideration so that i dont sit my exams, as i am unfit and unwell. she also noted that i have been very withdrawn, it was the first time i have been depressed, (so i have no medical history of this), and that i am seeing my gp every week because of my state.

what are my chances that my EC application will get accepted? because i was suffering from symptoms earlier in the academic year, does that go against my favour?im really worried :/

Latest