The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Well it's funny how no one replied to me when I posted as myself, but I get 3 replies when it's anonymous. Just proves my point really.

Not necessarily
Anyone else feel so embarrassed and self conscious after they talk to someone and not during the convo? I never really used to be like this much but lately after talking to someone all I can think is that I made a fool of myself or said something cringy even if the convo went well and I feel ashamed and embarrassed even when I don't have a reason to be.

Happened today after I ran into my cousin's partner in town and it was just a bog standard general 10 sec convo "hi how are you, hows my cousin? Tell her I'm asking for her. Bye." and I still felt it.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Anyone else feel so embarrassed and self conscious after they talk to someone and not during the convo? I never really used to be like this much but lately after talking to someone all I can think is that I made a fool of myself or said something cringy even if the convo went well and I feel ashamed and embarrassed even when I don't have a reason to be.

Happened today after I ran into my cousin's partner in town and it was just a bog standard general 10 sec convo "hi how are you, hows my cousin? Tell her I'm asking for her. Bye." and I still felt it.

Yes. And it doesn't matter how well I know the persom either.
Hello all I'm teddybear86

I am currently in the middle of doing my BSC in Health and Social with The Open University and just completed my third module out of six. I am currently struggling with depression, anxiety and ptsd
Original post by TeddyBear86

I am currently in the middle of doing my BSC in Health and Social with The Open University and just completed my third module out of six. I am currently struggling with depression, anxiety and ptsd

Welcome :hugs:

Well it's funny how no one replied to me when I posted as myself, but I get 3 replies when it's anonymous. Just proves my point really.

Well tbf some people like myself dont know a lot about any of these things, sometimes i rep if i can relate but if i cant then i leave it to others because i dont want to patronise people by pretending i 'understand' when i have never been in that situation and can only give out support but sometimes hugs arent always appropriate :smile:
Original post by titfortat
I'm so sorry to hear that :redface: Have you spoken to close ones about it? I think you need all the support you can possibly get rn - I understand it must be scary :hugs:

I have - my mum knows and the people who were at work when it happened. I don't really know what to do about it though :erm:
Feeling kind of ashamed tbh.
Ever do something rash because it felt like the right thing at the time and you couldnt really see past that moment all you wanted to do was relieve that impulse at that time.
But then having come out of that frame of mind for a while at least temporarily you have time to reflect on how stupid a thing it was to do ._.
not that it matters, doesnt affect anything paticuarly but idk wish i could get good at seeing the bigger picture sometimes in such instances :redface:

~Anon 1
Original post by 788emma
I have - my mum knows and the people who were at work when it happened. I don't really know what to do about it though :erm:

Ah right, its good to hear that someone knows. Wouldn't know what to do either :redface: have you spoken to your doctor about how to cope with it?
I'm feeling really upset today for a variety of reasons.
I'm feeling really upset today for a variety of reasons.

:hugs: hope you will be ok, you are a very lovely person from what i have seen :smile:

~Anon1
:hugs: hope you will be ok, you are a very lovely person from what i have seen :smile:

~Anon1

Thank you - you're so kind! :smile: Not sure but thank you again Anon 1 :hugs: Is it normal to not actually know how you're feeling? As in, you're feeling sad and you know why you're feeling sad but its difficult to explain why and comprehend it?? I feel like I'm the only one who experiences this :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)

Welcome! :hugs:

Feeling kind of ashamed tbh.
Ever do something rash because it felt like the right thing at the time and you couldnt really see past that moment all you wanted to do was relieve that impulse at that time.
But then having come out of that frame of mind for a while at least temporarily you have time to reflect on how stupid a thing it was to do ._.
not that it matters, doesnt affect anything paticuarly but idk wish i could get good at seeing the bigger picture sometimes in such instances :redface:

~Anon 1

:hugs:

Welcome :smile: I used to study with OU too. I was studying biology :h: I've took a break from it due to my mental and physical health but hope to go back to it again next year :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks

I occasionally do this as well. I even feel it with my friends (usually the ones I'm less close to) or family sometimes :s-smilie: I usually worry about having overshared to them or having talked too much or having said something awkward or something...

Anon 6
Original post by FireFreezer77
No worries!
Ah right well that sounds like an awkward situtaion then. I assume youve got to get the letter from the psychiatrist?

Yeah hopefully she would have written it and I can collect it on Thursday when I meet her.
Just feeling sick of everything and I only have my music to block all the annoyance -

titfortat
Original post by ScaryScience
I think essentially it comes down to digging your heels in, gritting your teeth, and telling yourself 'This is not how I want this story to end'. It sounds cheesy, but for me it worked. At the start of my second year, I had a module in cell biology. There was 120 people doing the course, and our marks were put up in a lecture. I had failed and performed the worst out of everyone. By the end of the year, I had ended up with a bit of rubbish grade. I remember sobbing for 13 hours straight, convinced my world had fallen in on me. But, after a time, I dusted myself off, got up again, and became determined that my story would not end up like this. I ended up with a solid 2:1 for my degree. I had so many set backs, day after day after day. And it was so hard, but with every tough day, I dug my heels in and was determined that I was not going to finish with a rubbish grade. I wish I could give specific advice, but honestly, take it a day or hour at a time. Take it one assignment and one exam at a time. Every time you feel yourself faltering and telling yourself you cant do it, remind yourself that you are going to carry on. Day after day. You will get there.

Thank you so much for this Scary! :hugs: I love the phrase 'This is not how I want this story to end' because that's exactly what it is - a story. I read your post yesterday and it motivated me to read half a textbook chapter and do two of the online assignments. I will pass this class.

Just had a 2.5hr lecture and the voices were so loud I couldn't concentrate but I think if I can do enough work when they're not so loud then I will pass.

Thanks. And a 2:1 is awesome btw, go you! :five:
Original post by Ezme39
Try not to think of others, and focus on what YOU want to achieve. My attitude is that every minute studying has the potential to be an extra mark :smile:

I want to pass this class. Thanks for the advice, I think I'm getting back on track with the studying.
It's impossible to be happy rn :frown: I don't know whats wrong with me. I just feel really pessimistic and annoyed. Plus, I feel like I'm annoying others which just puts off wanting to talk to people altogether >:frown:
It's impossible to be happy rn :frown: I don't know whats wrong with me. I just feel really pessimistic and annoyed. Plus, I feel like I'm annoying others which just puts off wanting to talk to people altogether >:frown:

I know exactly how you feel. Although the you may feel like you're annoying people, you're definitely not. Unless they're *******s, they will want to help you and support you :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest