The Student Room Group

Apple Macbook repair - cost?

Yesterday, my macbook suddenly stopped working - I think it's due to plugging in a faulty iphone charger but I'm not sure. I rang my insurance provider and they said that as it doesn't sound like accidental damage they probably wouldn't be able to do anything, but to go to an Apple story and let them see to it...if it is mechanical then they will fix it and if not my insurance provider will see to it. I just wondered, if it turns out that it is a mechanical fault would I have to pay for a repair? I'm pretty sure it's not under warranty

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by peanutbuttercup
Yesterday, my macbook suddenly stopped working - I think it's due to plugging in a faulty iphone charger but I'm not sure. I rang my insurance provider and they said that as it doesn't sound like accidental damage they probably wouldn't be able to do anything, but to go to an Apple story and let them see to it...if it is mechanical then they will fix it and if not my insurance provider will see to it. I just wondered, if it turns out that it is a mechanical fault would I have to pay for a repair? I'm pretty sure it's not under warranty

Thanks

How long have you had your MacBook?

The included warranty from Apple usually lasts one year unless you purchased AppleCare on top of that.

If you've had the MacBook for less than a year and the problem is a hardware fault, they should repair or replace it for you.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ROC10

The included warranty from Apple usually lasts one year unless you purchased AppleCare on top of that.

*Cough* UK Consumer laws allow claims to be made within 6 years of purchase in England/Wales or 5 years in Scotland. If you can get proof that it was unfit for purpose they have to deal with it. http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
Original post by ROC10

If you've had the MacBook for less than a year and the problem is a hardware fault, they should repair or replace it for you.

Original post by iainvg
*Cough* UK Consumer laws allow claims to be made within 6 years of purchase in England/Wales or 5 years in Scotland. If you can get proof that it was unfit for purpose they have to deal with it. http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Hey, thanks for the responses! I rang Apple shortly after and they told me that I was within my one year warranty (I forgot that it was actually a fairly new replacement as I had a macbook before for roughly 5 years that died on me). But when I took it in to store the technician managed to fix it there and then, no questions asked re the warranty.

That's great iainvg - I will bear that in mind for future! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending