The Student Room Group

Eligibility - living abroad

Hi - I'm a British citizen who has been doing development work in Malaysia for the last 2 years, basically earning a simple living allowance, still registered to vote in the UK, but not technically living there and not paying tax as I didn't earn enough. I've recently moved back to the UK and been accepted onto a part-time MSc in London commencing in September 2016 and otherwise fit the eligibility criteria. Am I eligible for the Postgraduate Loan Scheme? Thanks
Original post by milliesb
Hi - I'm a British citizen who has been doing development work in Malaysia for the last 2 years, basically earning a simple living allowance, still registered to vote in the UK, but not technically living there and not paying tax as I didn't earn enough. I've recently moved back to the UK and been accepted onto a part-time MSc in London commencing in September 2016 and otherwise fit the eligibility criteria. Am I eligible for the Postgraduate Loan Scheme? Thanks

Did you keep a UK bank account? If so was it registered at an address in England?

Or did you have a correspondence address for some formal organisation (best one if the SLC) at your parental home in England?

Were your malaysian visas or employment contracts temporary?

For the PGL you need to prove ordinary residence in England not just the UK. Ordinary residence excludes temporary absences as long as you can prove they were temporary and that you kept a base/intention to return to the UK/England.

You need to be sure your course meets the eligibility requirements.
Original post by milliesb

Hi

Normally you have to have been living in the UK (or EU if you’re an EU national) for at least three years before the start of your course to get a Postgraduate Loan.

However, there is an exception to this rule if you can show you were only abroad temporally, you might be asked to send additional evidence like a temporary employment contract or a temporary work visa.

Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending