Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Nightlife/ social life

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi guys,
    I'm currently trying to decide on where to go next year and am stuck between Loughborough and Manchester to complete a management degree. Although Loughborough seems to tick a lot of boxes, in particular the course strength and the quality of sports. However one area I'm worried about is the night life and social side. I appreciate the fact that this shouldn't be a huge factor, but if I'm living in a place for 3/4 years I want to be able to enjoy myself and not get bored. Obviously Manchester is a huge city with a renowned night life and has lots to offer due to its size.If anyone has a general guide to nightlife in Loughborough and also how expensive it is compared to other places they've been it would be greatly appreciated

Loughborough gets fairly boring pretty quickly, the union has three nights a week every week but you'll soon find they're repetitive and the same even if there's a different variety of music/DJs things happening, there'a a few nights out in town which too get boring pretty quickly as it is the same thing every week

Personally I think the night life at Loughborough is brilliant! Despite being a market town and not a big city like Manchester it is great fun for a night out. The SU has 3 nights a week which are the biggest SU events in the country and the clubs/bars in town are always extremely lively.

No doubt Loughborough out of term time is incomparable to the big cities. However, the benefit to Loughborough being a student town is that during the university term (when all students are here) nights out are packed with students. I have friends that regularly come back to Loughborough even when working in London because of the night life.

In my experience the Hall committees regularly put on large scale events to major cities anyway. I’ve been to Nottingham with huge groups from Loughborough. Certainly from the time I have been here, I couldn't rate it more highly and haven't got bored yet. There is a reason Loughborough always does so well in the student experience.

Hope that helps.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.