The Student Room Group

Dreading the start of Uni!

I'm starting my first year at uni this September and I'm excited to go but I'm also dreading it slightly.

Just the thought of moving away and being on my own for the first time is a worrying thought, hope I'm not the only one :wink: I was meant to start last September but I deffered a year to work part time. So I haven't even been in education since July last year so I'm also worried I'll be rusty when it comes to the knowledge and work.

I've also never been to the uni I'm attending before as open days and the application day have all fallen on dates I cannot do, so when I actually go there for my first week it's all going to be brand new to me, everything is.

Just looking to see if there's anyone in the same position as me or anyone that's been through the same thought process I'm going through. Any advice or reassurance anyone? :wink:
I haven't been in education for three years as I never planned on going to University but randomly found a course on what I want to do as a career so decided to go - I'm a little nervous too as it'll be weird going from full time work and being comfortable with money straight into being broke and not really having a lot of work haha.

What I have seen though from open days is that everyone's in the same boat as you - Just be yourself and I'm sure it'll all be fine! That's my plan, anyway xD.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm just finishing my first year at university and trust me when I say you won't have many problems. I was thinking the same thing when I was in your position last year, but it turned out great for me. Not knowing the uni and the area your staying in isn't going to make life easy for you, but its not going to make it hard either. You'll just get used to it like you got used to your school/college. As for being rusty at the work your doing, first year is ideal to get back into things really, as it doesn't really count for much. You'll still have work to do but its a lot different to school, and if your course is anything like mine, a lot of the work will be based outside of lectures and in your own time. I recommend just enjoying the first year of uni as much as you can. You'll be surrounded by a lot of people going through the same process as you and it'll be genuinely quite easy to make freinds on your course, where you live and through any societies you may join. Also, if you have Facebook, check to see if your uni has a freshers welcome group? You'll get to meet new people. I ended up meeting a lot of people on my course as well as half of my flatmates. By getting to know them before hand, it should make life a lot easier if/when you meet them in person. Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies guys they're super helpful! Anyone else? :smile:
Original post by Pinkman96
Thanks for your replies guys they're super helpful! Anyone else? :smile:

You'll have a great time. I went to uni at 17, then again in my mid 30s, and then once again after that. Each time was brilliant and different and exciting. Enjoy it, before real life hits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending