The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Tombomb
dude that makes 20 (6+6+6+2=20 mate) i'm doing maths, further maths (both edexcel), chemistry (edexcel), biology and french ( actually they're all edexcel) as AS and i'm keeping those for A2
I'm also going to do a thing called perpective in science which i think is all about the ethics behind science, is anyone else doing or done that? what's it like

Dicision and Discrete Computation
Numerical Methods, Numerical Computation, Numerical Analysis,
Commercial and Industrial Statistics
these are 5 different modules. that makes 25.
Reply 41
3 Advanced Highers and 2 Highers, one of which is from scratch and taught outside of school. Highly suicidal.
Reply 42
RobbieC
I have just finished exams for my 6 AS subjects. I currently study (and am for the while continuing to study):
Maths(Edexcel), Physics(Salters Horners), Chemistry(OCR-Salters), English Lit(AQA) and History(OCR) OH and General studies...

I teach myself history, as I find I am highly motivated to learn the subject, due to my interest in it. I was just wondering if anyone else did quite so many subjects, and whether they are still sane? If so, what subjects do you do, and how do YOU cope? I have done alright this year, with maths being the only real weak link, but thats just due to a sick P2 paper, lol...

So... who else is insane and stuff... Make yourselves known:smile:

Do you do this so that you have a better chance of being singled out as being one of the brightest? So that in the future, your prospects will be greater? Or do you simply do it to provide a challenge?
Reply 43
Curiosity
Do you do this so that you have a better chance of being singled out as being one of the brightest? So that in the future, your prospects will be greater? Or do you simply do it to provide a challenge?
Neither, as such. The real reason, was that I wanted to take both Physics and History and they were not allowed in combination otherwise! I felt I was going to take Physics at uni, but that possibility is now wavering... I am glad I did History, I love it. Then again, it will look good to admissions tutours, not simply because it adds diversity, but it shows the essential self-teaching potential and work ethic...
Reply 44
I'm just going to college and have the possiblility of doing 5 but is it really worth it?
I've been wavering for quite a while and probably could handle the workload but by doing all this are you sacrificing other things, like a social life?
Reply 45
I've just about finished 3 A-levels, AS+A2, in one year.
I did Politics, Economics and Computing, and I would recommend it! I don't think I would have remained sane if I had to do soul destroying A-levels over 2 years.
Reply 46
Why on earth do people do so many? I'm sure a large number of people do it to impress others and so that they can feel superior. It just seems really unnecessary and a bit of a waste of time, in my opinion. It's almost as if they're so indecisive they can't even select which subjects they prefer. I'm sure some people do it for the challenge, but doing 5+ A2 Levels doesn't seem to have any benefits, from what I can see.
Reply 47
I'll end up with 4 A2s and 1 AS (History, Maths, French, Psychology and Critical Thinking AS)
I don't really see the point of doing more than that. 4 was too many. Most Unis only ask for 3 A2s and sometimes an AS. I only did 4 because I was unsure whether I should drop History or Maths because i'm indecisive. I figured it out after the P3 exam though :rolleyes:
Reply 48
minkailin
wow thats a lot, quite impressive. although i never understood y ppl would do so many? i tend to study the least amount as possible.

they like to put un-necessary pressure onthemselves, or like a challenge?
Reply 49
Im gonna end up with 5A2's and 2AS's.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Technology (Product Design & Resistant Materials), and Computing A2's. Extra Further Maths AS and Critical Thinking AS.

Maths modules (P1-6, M1-6, D1-2, S1)

Interesting point here is that most of the people taking so many a-levels are almost all taking further maths. I find the maths and further maths feels like one subject, so its not so bad. Also ive found that the more maths you do, the easier it becomes to learn more. I added in the extra maths AS because i felt like the challange of M6 as well and D1 and D2 fit nicely with the computing, all 3 self taught.
Reply 50
I've just finished doing AS Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, Further maths, French and G.S. - next year will continue all, as well as Critical thinking, Additional maths and Economics at AS level. I'm studying them all because I want to learn! That's the primary reason for going to school, surely? It's a challenge too, but that's not the main reason. I'll be more pleased by the knowledge I gain from the courses than the actual grades I get in them. And it will also be good preparation for university when a lot of the learning is done by yourself.
Reply 51
I will end up with 3 A2s and 2 AS levels

A2: Maths, History, Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics)
AS: German, Further Maths

Valen, I would certainly agree with you that Further Maths is not really the same as an extra a-level. Let's be honest, if you are reasonably good at maths you can do maths and further maths without too much difficulty; certainly from my own experience my German as-level was much harder to get, further maths is not another subject it is just more of the same.

Also, I would say that if you have done an obscene number of a-levels then good for you, but it isn't really going to help you that much, you only really need 3-4 A2s.
Reply 52
I agree about the further maths too - we do the double course in the same lesson time as the others do the single. I guess it really does depend on your aptitude for the subject; although I do find some parts difficult at first, once I've gone through it a couple of times I haven't found anything that hard P1-3, M1+2 and S1+2. Next year is meant to be a lot tougher though...
Reply 53
Apocagem
I agree about the further maths too - we do the double course in the same lesson time as the others do the single. I guess it really does depend on your aptitude for the subject; although I do find some parts difficult at first, once I've gone through it a couple of times I haven't found anything that hard P1-3, M1+2 and S1+2. Next year is meant to be a lot tougher though...

A2 is certainly tougher than AS level; however, if you have found P1-3 fairly easy I wouldn't foresee you running into any problems at all.
Reply 54
mikesgt2
A2 is certainly tougher than AS level; however, if you have found P1-3 fairly easy I wouldn't foresee you running into any problems at all.

That's very good news! I enjoy the pure modules the most; they provide a good challenge I think, and some of the questions are quite interesting. The mechanic ones were the ones I found hardest at first. Stats was definitely the easiest; the exams simply involved going through routines which we'd been doing in past papers in class for weeks. There was nothing unexpected in it at all! And no formulae to learn either!
Reply 55
Apocagem
That's very good news! I enjoy the pure modules the most; they provide a good challenge I think, and some of the questions are quite interesting. The mechanic ones were the ones I found hardest at first. Stats was definitely the easiest; the exams simply involved going through routines which we'd been doing in past papers in class for weeks. There was nothing unexpected in it at all! And no formulae to learn either!

Depends, P5 and P6 are pretty tricky, but if you do work thoughout the year you should be fine.

Plus (P1-3, M1+2 and S1+2), no wonder you found your first year easy, the only difficult module out of those, even for normal maths, is P3.

The further maths being easy for mathsey people can depend, because some of the harder mechanics (M4-6) can get a little tricky with the application of the pure. You really have to think about those!
I find pure REALLY easy, but Mechanics is just a killer for me. I actually found my Mechanics 2 paper hard :smile:
lilsunflower
I find pure REALLY easy, but Mechanics is just a killer for me. I actually found my Mechanics 2 paper hard :smile:

Even P3? :smile:

Is that module (Edexcel/OCR) as hard as people make it out to be, or do you think the jump from P2 to P3 is fine?

Just curious.
General studies hardly counts.
General studies hardly counts.

I agree. Nonetheless, if you include it, it counts as an extra A Level, number wise.

For A2, I (will hopefully) have
Economics (AQA)
French (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel - P1 P2 P3 S1 S2)
ICT (AQA)
Russian (Edexcel)
General Studies (AQA)

And I have Spanish (AQA) AS level.

19th August... I'll find out whether I have been crazy or not.
But tbh, I had a lot of free time, and if I were less lazy, I could have easily done further maths and another fun subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending