The Student Room Group

Philosophy application at Cambridge Uni

Hello. I was just wondering if any one that has had a successful application to Cambridge University could share their experience of the process with me. I am considering applying and would just be really interested to have your views. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by ThatIzziGirl
Hello. I was just wondering if any one that has had a successful application to Cambridge University could share their experience of the process with me. I am considering applying and would just be really interested to have your views. Thank you!

You might want to look at this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=503648

And I'm tagging @tara8000 :smile:
Reply 2
welp yes hello! (sorry I only check tsr occasionally now :tongue: )

I study Philosophy in 1st Year at Sidney Sussex College.

What would you like to know? :smile:
Original post by tara8000
welp yes hello! (sorry I only check tsr occasionally now :tongue: )

I study Philosophy in 1st Year at Sidney Sussex College.

What would you like to know? :smile:

Thank you so much for getting in contact with me! I actually have quite a few questions. If you could shed some light on these areas, I'd really appreciate it:
1. As the entry requirement is A*AA, does this mean that I can't get in with a a B this year (AS), even if I pull it up next year?
2. How well-read do you need to be for the interview? I've started reading elementary-level logic and am really excited by it, but haven't read anything else yet.
3. What sort of thing do they ask in philosophy interviews?
4. How hefty is the work load for philosophy? Does it stop you having a social life? Don't get me wrong - I'm there to study! However, having a bit of a social life would be nice too!
5. How do colleges work? I've tried to look it up myself but still find it a bit confusing!
Thank you :smile:

Just to clarify.... I'm NOT asking for specific interview questions or anything like that... Just the general gist?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Can't answer all of these as I'm not a student, just the mother of a Philosophy first year.

1. Offers are made on the basis of A level results, so as long as you make your offer (they vary) you would be fine.

2. Reading never hurts. Cambridge know that not all applicants will have the opportunity to study Philosophy at AS or A level, but they obviously like you to be interested enough to have read around the subject. They don't expect mastery of it, or what would be the point of the course! There is a reading list somewhere on their website which would help you get started.

3. No idea. Wasn't there and son didn't say much about it which is fair enough as it was his business and I was just there as a taxi service.

4. Again, I'm not the student and can't answer, but son appears to have a social life. There are lectures, weekly essays and 1:1 supervisions.

5. Colleges are all part of Cambridge and whichever one you attend you are doing the same Philosophy course. Your college is your base. It gives you an immediate pool of people to talk to and will be the centre for any pastoral issues you might have. Some are bigger and better equipped than others, but they all offer the same kind of facilities. As far as I can see, it makes almost no difference which one you go to, so don't worry about it.
Reply 5
Original post by ThatIzziGirl
Thank you so much for getting in contact with me! I actually have quite a few questions. If you could shed some light on these areas, I'd really appreciate it:
1. As the entry requirement is A*AA, does this mean that I can't get in with a a B this year (AS), even if I pull it up next year?
2. How well-read do you need to be for the interview? I've started reading elementary-level logic and am really excited by it, but haven't read anything else yet.
3. What sort of thing do they ask in philosophy interviews?
4. How hefty is the work load for philosophy? Does it stop you having a social life? Don't get me wrong - I'm there to study! However, having a bit of a social life would be nice too!
5. How do colleges work? I've tried to look it up myself but still find it a bit confusing!
Thank you :smile:

Just to clarify.... I'm NOT asking for specific interview questions or anything like that... Just the general gist?

HELLO.I AM SORRY THIS HAS TAKEN SO LONG. UNI LIFE GOT VERY BUSY orzz

I hope results day went well! But I'll answer the questions as normal anyway~~

1. As long as you have/are realistically predicted at least A*AA at A level you have a fighting chance. If the B is something your teachers think you can improve on and they reflect that in their predictions then you're probably ok. I got in with a B in an AS :smile: if you mean you have an extra AS that's a B...that's not much of a problem. But don't take my word on this - if you're worried contact the admissions tutor of a college you're interested in!

2. For the interview, you only need to be as well read as what you write in your personal statement :wink: but it doesn't hurt to keep reading! Read anything and everything that you find interesting! They like to see your love for philosophy. Again, not a guarantee, but it'll help you and your view and relationship with philosophy - you may find you don't actually like it as much as you think! (Introductory logic is v fun nice choice :smile: but they actually teach it from scratch when you get here!)

3. I was asked a load of thought experiment questions and my responses to them were challenged with added caveats, and also philosophical questions linked to the essays I'd sent in and to elaborate on stuff I'd written in my personal statement.

4. Philosophy workload is V nice (for a Cambridge workload imo) 1 essay/supervision a week, 8-11 lectures a week, and 1 hour of logic class/discussion group a week.... my being really busy was due to 103973409283 extracurriculars and spending too much time with friends :tongue:

5. Colleges are just like, giant halls of residence that you have for the duration for your course. While teaching and course content is sorted university wide, your college determines your location, your accommodation, the people you live with, the pastoral care you get etc... if you can think of more specific questions re the college system that'd be easier to answer :tongue: but everyone is taught by the department, so you'll meet people on your course from different colleges...if that helps?

I hope these answers are still useful and not too late! Feel free to ask more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending