The Student Room Group

Menstrual Cycle - Contraceptive pill

A question in my AQA biology exam was:

Oestrogen is present in some contraceptive pills. Explain how oestrogen acts a contraceptive.

The answer is :

Inhibits release of FSH so follicle does not develop so ovulation is prevented.

I dont understand how giving someone oestrogen would cause this, since surely you are increasing the concentration of oestrogen and therefore a high concentration would inhibit FSH
Reply 1
I don't understand.
You answer your own question?

Original post by Need90+forpaper2
The answer is : Inhibits release of FSH so follicle does not develop so ovulation is prevented. surely you are increasing the concentration of oestrogen and therefore a high concentration would inhibit FSH
Low levels of oestrogen (found in the contracteptive pill) inhibit FSH production, so follicle doesn't develop. No follicle means no further secretion of oestrogen. This means oestrogen levels do not increase, so LH secretion isn't promoted. No LH so no promotion of ovaries to release oestrogen

Original post by Need90+forpaper2
A question in my AQA biology exam was:

Oestrogen is present in some contraceptive pills. Explain how oestrogen acts a contraceptive.

The answer is :

Inhibits release of FSH so follicle does not develop so ovulation is prevented.

I dont understand how giving someone oestrogen would cause this, since surely you are increasing the concentration of oestrogen and therefore a high concentration would inhibit FSH
Original post by CMooreFalcons
Low levels of oestrogen (found in the contracteptive pill) inhibit FSH production, so follicle doesn't develop. No follicle means no further secretion of oestrogen. This means oestrogen levels do not increase, so LH secretion isn't promoted. No LH so no promotion of ovaries to release oestrogen

Fantastic, Thank you very much
Moved to the biology forum :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending