The Student Room Group

How strict is your school uniform ?

Scroll to see replies

I'm in sixth form. My school has a uniform for the lower years but in sixth form there used to be no rules. I had one glorious year of freedom in lower sixth. Then, they introduced The Formal Dress Code at the beginning of upper sixth. Why oh why?
Not strict at alllll

We have a shirt, school jumper, clip on tie, black trousers (or skirt and black tights), black socks, black leather shoes (although they really don't care about shoes anymore, my sister wears black pumps and they're fine). They allow all hair colours except blue, green and pink (and purple but only if it's really bright), but in year 11 they literally don't care about hair at all. Face jewellery "isn't allowed" but they don't do anything about it. Ear tapers and plugs are the same as face jewellery. Any makeup is allowed. Loads of people wear black skinny jeans - they're not fussed at all. The only thing they're quite strict about is wearing outdoor clothing (coats and hoodies etc) indoors but that's literally the only thing.
Original post by Tomo5000
Hi how strict is or was your school uniform. I would say mine is quite strict. My uniform is
School jumper
School polo shirt
School trousers
Plain black footwear
These are my school shoes
image.jpg

Must have proper suit shoes, must have a v neck school jumper, everything else must be school uniform, no deviation. It gets more lax, as in Sixth form we have to get smarter but we can choose our suit etc. But, people get into trouble for having things like Sainsbury's suits in sixth form lol. Your hair has to be between a 3 and a 6. You can have no facial hair, if you do you will be given a razor and asked to shave or you'll be sent home. Coats are allowed, and a lot of people have them, but it must be navy/black and a trench/mac coat type of coat.
Reply 63
Original post by balanced
Must have proper suit shoes, must have a v neck school jumper, everything else must be school uniform, no deviation. It gets more lax, as in Sixth form we have to get smarter but we can choose our suit etc. But, people get into trouble for having things like Sainsbury's suits in sixth form lol. Your hair has to be between a 3 and a 6. You can have no facial hair, if you do you will be given a razor and asked to shave or you'll be sent home. Coats are allowed, and a lot of people have them, but it must be navy/black and a trench/mac coat type of coat.

Ur school sounds harsh
Reply 64
Mines waaay stricter!

White shirt
Grey jumper
grey blazer
knee length skirt (that must be bought from one existing store)
white/grey/black tights/socks
black shoes, no trainers
no earrings that arent gold or silver bigger than 4mm diameter and not a circle
no hair accessories except black grey or navy blue
no nailvarnish or makeup
no jackets that dont cover your blazer (EVEN THOUGH YOU DONT EVEN WEAR THEM IN SCHOOL)

Its pathetic but I find my way around it
Hi how strict is or was your school uniform. I would say mine is quite strict. My uniform is
School jumper
School polo shirt
School trousers
Plain black footwear
These are my school shoes
image.jpg

Those shoes are on point :biggrin::biggrin:
Mines not too strict although you must wear what they say :tongue:
Mine is quite strict:
-kilt (has to be below the knee)
-black tights/black socks
-white blouse
-black school jumper (no hoodies- not even our school hoodies)
-black school blazer with our own house crest on.
-black leather shoes (no black trainers allowed)

I'm a girl so that is for the girls at my school. We can get detentions or phone calls home to our parents if we are not dressed appropriately in the perfect school uniform to school.
Ur school sounds harsh

Not on anything else, it's just a very important issue. We just have to work extremely hard, like say I didn't have a homework and said I had no time, they would say 'why didn't you stay up to complete it?'. But, that's like most private schools, all-nighters are a fact of life from about year 8/9 lol. It's not like we buy our grades :frown:
Don't have a uniform

:cool:
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Very I guess. For starters we have to wear leather type shoes...not those:wink:
Black school straight skirt with a slit at the back-knee length. (they measure it almost everyday :colonhash:)
Either sleeved or sleeveless collared shirt. No rolling up of sleeves uless told.
Blazer. Must be worn until you receive permission to take it off
Top button up unless you ask to take it off
Tie must be right length and done properly
if you wear trousers, skinnies are not allowed. Or slim fits.
Jumper is optional.
Plus if your seen around school w/o proper uniform eg not wearing your blazer-you get a lunch detention :colonhash:

Is it a private school by any chance?
Fairly strict, not especially:

White shirt/blouse
Navy/red (Y11) jumper
Blue and red tie
Blue tie for peer mentors
Red and gold tie for prized students
Black trousers for boys
Navy trousers / skirts for girls
Black socks for boys
White, navy, black socks or black/navy opaque tights for girls
Black shoes, no heels, no logos, no trainers, just plain black
Black or navy coats, no logos
Gold prefect badges, gold head boy/girl badges, ambassador badges, other club badges and when we are doing fundraising we're allowed charity pins and bracelets

We used to have to wear blazers. We don't have to anymore. I still have a blazer but I never wear it because no one else does. Only two people in the entire school now wear it.

Natural colour hair, cannot be a number one cut
No make up (but everyone breaks this rule, including me, and on the very few days we do have make up checks, only girls with bright orange faces and slugs for eyebrows are checked)
No jewellery apart from plain studs in the ears
No nail polish

PE uniform:

Non-GCSE:
Red polo shirt
Blue shorts for boys
Blue shorts or skirt for girls
Red jumper with school logo
Navy tracksuit bottoms
Navy tracksuit jacket

GCSE:
White and blue shirt
White and blue shorts/trousers
Blue hoodie with student's name printed on the back
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm in the sixth form, so this doesn't necessarily apply to me (although we still have rules e.g. no ripped clothing, logos), but I feel sorry for the lower school about how strict the uniform is. Keeping top buttons done up etc. is fair enough, but there is a stupid rule that, even in the summer months, students HAVE to keep their blazers/jumpers on at break, lunch and before and after school, and as there are no sheltered areas they must do so outside in direct sunlight. I don't know if this is normal, but I don't believe that it can possibly be good for students health.

edit: I forgot to mention that the blazers are thick polyester material, basically stuff that is designed to make you sweat
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm at university now, so it doesn't matter what you wear, but when I was at school (secondary school, that is):

Post 16 was reasonable - you had to wear what would be described as "office wear" - that being a shirt, trousers and plain black shoes. Rules on jewellery etc were quite strict throughout the whole of school. So long as you dressed smartly, you'd be fine.

Year 7 through to 11 was a whole different story. Blue shirts (white shirts in year 11), tank top style jumper (official school one), official school blazer, plain black trousers (no slim/skinny fit trousers etc) and plain black shoes. Thankfully, no ties as part of the uniform, or having to do the very top button up, but the main shirt buttons had to be done up, obviously. There were also a whole load of additional rules that you had to conform to, such as no drastic hair styles, no earrings, no nail polish, jumpers had to be on unless authorized by the teachers, blazers had to be on whilst not in classrooms (those two rules were slightly relaxed during summer months), you couldn't wear a t-shirt underneath your school shirt, shirts had to be tucked in at all times, etc etc. (Half of those semi-rules weren't followed by a lot of students.)

It's good to be at university, with no uniform - lets put it that way!
my school uniform was too damn strict to the point where you had to have the right colour socks and bobbles and earings smaller than 5p

AND

we had uniform checks on a daily basis

lol
(edited 7 years ago)
No uniform for y10+
Mate,

That's nothing. Coming from an underdeveloped 3rd world country we don't even have the opportunity. If we complain about the school uniform then the government is out to get us. They are always watching.

Sorry for the bad english
Light blue buttoned shirt
navy blue shorts (boys) or navy trousers
navy blue skirt (girls)
polishable shoes
long navy sock (boys)
My school is so chill though, guys wear skinny black jeans, girls wear their skirts very high, everyone wears sport hoodies or jackets, some guys wear hats in class.
We used to wear sandals all year but couple years ago they banned them because everyone wore the back strap down but this one kid lead a sandal revolution (its legit on wikipedia) so they allowed them in summer. I've live in NZ btw
In our sixth form we have to wear suits and if you have very long hair or remain unshaven youre sent home i think :tongue:
Suit for sixth former :colone:
Original post by cupcakes87
my school uniform was too damn strict to the point where you had to have the right colour socks and bobbles and earings smaller than 5p

AND

we had uniform checks on a daily basis

lol

Sounds a bit like how my school was - when you walked into the school, they did a uniform check, and anyone who wasn't in the right uniform got sent home to change into the correct uniform...

Thankfully, I always stuck to their strict policies...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending