The Student Room Group

Thinking of getting my ears pierced - what should I know?

When I was younger I used to always say, "Hmmm, yeah, I'll get my ears pierced when I'm older..." But now I'm older and it's still not happened! I feel like almost every girl has pierced ears and they all seemed to have got theirs done when they were little at Claire's or something.

I'd like to wear earrings (I have some clip ons but they're awful and hurt like hell) and I think I might get them pierced in the summer.

Where should I get them pierced? How much does it cost? Does it hurt? How long does it take? Things to worry about? Tips?

Thank you! :-)
I thank my parents for getting mine done at like 6 months or something.

I so sorry, I'm actually no help with personal experience things.:colondollar: But seeing my friend get hers done I think it would hurt a bit and you'd have to keep a pair of earrings in until the persons tells you to leave it in for. And ofc hygiene and stuff when it comes to taking care of the piercings to prevent any cheeky bacteria. And get it pierced at a well known place? Idk but don't go for any dogey places.
Don't stress when you're getting it done. I'm sure it would make you even more beautifuller :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
make sure they use a needle not a gun
Original post by saladays
When I was younger I used to always say, "Hmmm, yeah, I'll get my ears pierced when I'm older..." But now I'm older and it's still not happened! I feel like almost every girl has pierced ears and they all seemed to have got theirs done when they were little at Claire's or something.

I'd like to wear earrings (I have some clip ons but they're awful and hurt like hell) and I think I might get them pierced in the summer.

Where should I get them pierced? How much does it cost? Does it hurt? How long does it take? Things to worry about? Tips?

Thank you! :-)

It hurts
Well!! I recently got my Tragus and Daith pierced. Make sure you use sea salt solution, NEVER EVER use gun, it's dangerous. Make sure you research piercing places, my piercer uses gloves and sterilised needle from a new packet. Also, i can't say if it will hurt or not xD pain tolerances differ.
Reply 5
Original post by jawsontheflooor
make sure they use a needle not a gun

Original post by noticemesenpai
NEVER EVER use gun, it's dangerous.

Yeah, tends to make the hole a bit bigger than you'd like...

Yeah, go for it! I didn't get mine pierced until I was 13. Took a few seconds and didn't hurt much.You should wear only gold plated earrings initially as it prevents infection. It did get slightly annoying at first as my ear piercing kept healing and sometimes bleeding when I tried to put earrings back in. So you should keep the earrings in as long as possible. But all this will resolve itself within a few month so.
1. Research! the studios.
2. NEVER ever get pierced with a gun. I did, before I knew better, and I still have the most horrible scars to show for it. 6 of them, actually. I was only lucky that it didn't get infected.
3. Talk to your artist. It's their job, and they will answer all the questions you might have.
Wash with sterile sea salt soaks.
4. Get gold, silver, titanium or surgery steel rings. Not studs, but rings. Preferably ball-closure rings. They're easier to clean, and the rings will help keep the wound from getting infected.
5. Make sure your artist uses disposable gloves, and get their needle from a new packet. Alternatively, look around for an autoclave. That way, you know the needles used will be sterile and "fresh".

I can't really remember anything else right now, but as I mentioned: talk to your artist!

And the pain isn't bad. Just like a little pinch in your lobe. It'll be over in half a second.
Reply 8
Claire's pierce with a gun- DO NOT GO THERE. It can shatter the ear (if on the cartilage) and makes the hole bigger than it needs to be. Also, the staff practice piercing ears on cardboard, they have no qualification and can and will make a mess of your ears. Go to a proper piercing studio (it will be daunting but they'll do a good job) and make sure they use a needle and check them out first to make sure they are safe.
It isn't pain, just nip your ear with your nail and it feels like that, it does sting for a bit after but it doesn't last long :smile:
People say not to get your ears pierced at Claire's because they use a piercing gun etc but i have had my ears pierced 4 times (1st hole pierced twice, and then my 2nd & 3rd holes) there and I have found it to be absolutely fine !

Just make sure you tie your hair up for the day and follow their instructions as to maintenance. My ears healed perfectly and I have never had any problems with my piercings.

One thing I would recommend is paying that little bit etc for the solid gold earrings as opposed to the stainless steel. Some people can have a reaction to the stainless steel so it is always safer to avoid them.

The procedure itself is not sore and is over extremely quickly.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
I had my ears pierced 3 times AND my nose with a gun. Had no idea it was bad. :s-smilie: Mine were all fine, guess I was lucky.
Reply 11
Thank you so much for the help guys, you've been so helpful! :-) My only dilemma now is where to get them done! The mixed messages I'm getting about Claire's is confusing, but I'm looking around and I've found a few parlours so I'll look into it in the summer. Thanks again everyone :-)

Quick Reply

Latest