The Student Room Group

I really need help with my GCSE English Language Exam

I'm really struggling to get a C in English Language, I've tried really hard and focused lots in lessons but it does absolutely no good, since the AQA exam board uppened the grade boundaries, I'm finding it really impossible to get a C.

The first time I did the exam was in June 2015, I did very badly and got a U in it, the 2nd time I did another Language Mock I got a D+ (38 marks), but now I just had another English Language mock in April and I'm still stuck on a D+ but I got (36) marks.

I know this may sound really sad but ever since I was very young, I was a really slow learner, I picked up things slower than everyone else, I also spoke late but I don't know if that make's a difference to my learning and during my time in primary school (Year 1-3) I struggled to make friends and pay attention in class, my mum kept saying I kept looking away in the windows all the time.

Now I'm in year 11 and very close to my exams, I still don't have enough potential or confidence to get a C in the exam, I'm just always stuck on a D+ and I've tried everything such as doing past papers and looking through my revision guide but to no avail.

And I also noticed during these times that when I'm doing this Mock in exam conditions, I'm unable to think properly, I cannot think fully on a source and interpret it like others can and I really struggle a lot in the writing section because my literacy rate is poor.

Can anyone help me? I'm on the verge of just giving up revising right now because I can't get rid of these negative thoughts that 'I can't do it, you seen your grades right? how will they improve? You can't improve.. ect.'

Please someone help me, I'm begging you (and this is my first time posting a topic like this)

Thanks

Taran Basi

Scroll to see replies

Is English your first langauge Taran?

You should have been getting extra help from your tacher or got a tutor.

At this stage you just need to try your best. Have you looked at past papers and then the mark schemes which show you what examiners are looking for?
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-language-4705/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

I assume thats the right one?

Just pace yourself. Try and keep it one thought to one sentence and use all your time in the exam. You do have to put to the back of your mind in you cant do things, but instead fight for each mark and just do your best.

the best method imo is to just keep practising and then getting someone to talk you through the paper.

sorry cnat help more than that but its last minute. just believe you cna do it.
Original post by 11tarbas
I'm really struggling to get a C in English Language, I've tried really hard and focused lots in lessons but it does absolutely no good, since the AQA exam board uppened the grade boundaries, I'm finding it really impossible to get a C.

The first time I did the exam was in June 2015, I did very badly and got a U in it, the 2nd time I did another Language Mock I got a D+ (38 marks), but now I just had another English Language mock in April and I'm still stuck on a D+ but I got (36) marks.

I know this may sound really sad but ever since I was very young, I was a really slow learner, I picked up things slower than everyone else, I also spoke late but I don't know if that make's a difference to my learning and during my time in primary school (Year 1-3) I struggled to make friends and pay attention in class, my mum kept saying I kept looking away in the windows all the time.

Now I'm in year 11 and very close to my exams, I still don't have enough potential or confidence to get a C in the exam, I'm just always stuck on a D+ and I've tried everything such as doing past papers and looking through my revision guide but to no avail.

And I also noticed during these times that when I'm doing this Mock in exam conditions, I'm unable to think properly, I cannot think fully on a source and interpret it like others can and I really struggle a lot in the writing section because my literacy rate is poor.

Can anyone help me? I'm on the verge of just giving up revising right now because I can't get rid of these negative thoughts that 'I can't do it, you seen your grades right? how will they improve? You can't improve.. ect.'

Please someone help me, I'm begging you (and this is my first time posting a topic like this)

Thanks

Taran Basi

Hi Taran. Sorry you are feeking like this. I recommend past papers for maximum revision and flash cards. Stressing out does not help either. PM if you want some advice or help. :smile:

Thanks

Taran Basi

Private message me and I'll help you. Plus send me link to past papers relevant to you and I can test you on some questions and help you to maximise on your answers to get good marks.
Reply 4
Original post by honestly
Private message me and I'll help you. Plus send me link to past papers relevant to you and I can test you on some questions and help you to maximise on your answers to get good marks.

Awwww thanks honestly, that's so kind of you 😄

How do I private message people? (Sorry I'm new here that's why)
Id suggest if you are both willing to use skype as the toing and froing is time consuming whereas i think if you went through some of the past papers and explained as he was reading and looking at the comprehension, then that would really help.

If enough people volunteers o do one question or paper, then he could easily get through them in time. there are 7 papers.

Part A is 3 comprenehsions and then a comparitive comprehension. All based on 3 non fiction passages.
Part B are two pieces of written work, just a piece of reasoned writing a for and against argument or a review.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I did do some and I do understand the sources I'm given, but when it comes to writing my answer up, then that's a problem for me.
I did do some and I do understand the sources I'm given, but when it comes to writing my answer up, then that's a problem for me.

Structure may be your weakness, it is hard when writing an answer as you do not know how to lay it all out and start it. When I come back from school, I will PM you as I know it can be a nightmare.
Reply 8
Original post by Rhythmical
Structure may be your weakness, it is hard when writing an answer as you do not know how to lay it all out and start it. When I come back from school, I will PM you as I know it can be a nightmare.

Yes, that's the problem I have, thanks for understanding me. So how do I improve with structuring my answers? Section B (questions 5 and 6) are the ones I struggle with structuring the most, I really find it difficult to write a creative piece of writing.
Awwww thanks honestly, that's so kind of you 😄

How do I private message people? (Sorry I'm new here that's why)

Hit my name honestly on this post. It will send you to my profile page and you will see a link to private message me!
snip

Hi there! I've moved this to the correct forum :h: check out the other threads in here - they may have an answer for you.
Reply 11
I can totally relate to this thread. In my mocks I got an E in Literature and a D in Language. I literally cornered my teacher and she was fine with sitting down with me whenever she had a chance. In the end came out with Cs in both. My literature was originally marked as a D but got bumped up :yy:. Also my teacher told me that if you get a D in Literature you don't have to re-take it.
Reply 12
I tried talking to my teacher but she just said to do past papers nothing else. And doing past papers aren't really helping anymore.
Reply 13
We have been over every question separately in school - I can help if you private message me.
YouTube Mr Bruff and look at his English Language videos and take notes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I tried watching his videos, but even those couldn't help me with my confidence in creative writing and how to write good answers for question 2,3 and 4.
Reply 16
Is it the AQA exam on the 7th June?
Reply 17
Yes it's on the 7th June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I pretty much struggle on all the questions except question 1, I find it really difficult when writing out my answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I pretty much struggle on all the questions except question 1, I find it really difficult when writing out my answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this the higher paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending