The Student Room Group

Finished Accounting degree..What to do next ? :(

Hello,
I will finish my Accounting and Finance degree soon. I don't have any work experience in this field, therefore it is very difficult to find a job. I don't like to work for big companies. I am very much interested in Bookkeeping, Payroll and Tax. However most bookkeeping work experience require practical experience or experience in sage etc. I don't have it.

I also enrolled in ACCA. How does ACCA works? I will get three exemptions.

What would you advise me to do? Can I do ACCA without having any practical experience? And is it worth (for bookkeeping)?
Hello,

I'm not sure if I can answer all of your queries, but I'll give it a go!

As you have already stated that you don't want to, there are plenty of start-ups/small businesses that may be willing to give you some work experience without you having had any practical experience yet - have you tried applying to any local businesses?

Regarding how the ACCA works, the ACCA Qualification focuses on the key knowledge that is required across the profession. A combination of technical exams and practical, hands-on experience means you are learning whilst keeping up to date with good practice and technical knowledge. As you have mentioned, if you already have a relevant degree, you'll be eligible for exemptions from some of the papers; saving you time and money.

It may also be of help to check out these two articles over on Milkround; one on careers in accounting, and one on starting your career in bookkeeping.

I hope some of the above helps - best of luck!

Chantelle & The Milkround team

Quick Reply

Latest