Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Is it too late to revise?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

My mental health has deteriorated this year and it has impacted my grades as I have no motivation to revise. I can feel myself giving up on school when I've always enjoyed it in the past.

I'm in my last year of school and am due to take A2 exams in just over a month and I haven't started revising. Is it too late? I feel like I've thrown away years of education.

From tomorrow start revising, just do it.

No, but do go and see your gp and talk to your teachers.

Hey, i was seriously depressed last year and it had a really big impact on my grades going from like A*/A at GCSE to getting CDDU in my As levels.
    I started revising about 2 weeks ago and i think starting late is perfect because its not long enough to have forgotten the things you've learnt.Now I'm due to get BBC which is enough to get into uni next year.

Trust me. Just force yourself to start revising and once you get going it really isn't that bad.

i also found that when i started revising and getting used to doing a couple of hours a day my depression has just gone... hopefully it could help you too?

(Original post by wintervevo)
    My mental health has deteriorated this year and it has impacted my grades as I'm finding daily tasks difficult and have no motivation to revise. I can feel myself giving up on school when I've always enjoyed it in the past.

I'm in my last year of school and am due to take A2 exams in just over a month and I haven't started revising. Is it too late? Should I give up?
    I'm at a loss as to whether there is any point in revising now. I feel like I've thrown away years of education.
    Don't give up! It is certainly not too late, a month is a good amount of time, and giving up could be the worst thing to do for yourself. :hugs:
    I understand it is probably hard for you but persevere, you have not thrown away years of education yet!
    However, if you do decide that dropping your A levels would be beneficial to your health then don't hesitate to do what is best for your health.
    But just the fact that you're here asking this question indicates you have still got it within you to succeed and motivate yourself, you're showing that you do want to succeed. I believe in you. Good luck!

It is never too late to start revising.
    You start now, that's a whole month until your first exam- you'll be fine! You can do an extortionate amount in a month, trust me.
    I felt (and still do) feel the same lack of ambition with my studies due to issues with mental health. My grades did drop in my mocks (I actually failed my chemistry mock, and I'm normally a straight A student), and I felt horrific when I realised my actual A Levels were coming up, especially since a lot of my teachers had given up on me after one error, and I believed that I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bring myself to look at anything as I'd convinced myself I'd already ruined it, and thrown away any chance at success, never mind getting accepted into uni.
    Similarly to you, I left it late to start revising, later than you have in fact, but I got there in the end. Slowly I managed to picture what I wanted to get out of this and not wanting to waste my years of education and I managed to do a little bit here and there, and I passed all of my A Levels (Geography, Biology and Chemistry) with an AAC respectively- high enough to actually get scholarship money from uni!
    It is never too late to start
    I know it's rough right now, and honestly, I recommend you try visiting your GP to see if you can get some help if you're having mental health troubles, as they really could make all the difference to you. But I also have faith that you can pull yourself through these exams and come out on top!
    Worst comes to worst and you maybe don't get exactly what you wanted, I'm telling you now, in advance, that that is not failure. You are young. A levels are not the be all end all. You can resit them next year if needs be(I have friends who are doing that, it's really not as bad as it may seem).
    I'm wishing you so much luck for your exams, I know you can pull through and I'm sending really big hugs, because I know it's difficult. But please don't give up. You haven't wasted anything- you are more important than your exams, and more important than an education. If you do need to take the time out to take care of yourself, prioritise that and come back to exams when you're in a right mind.
    Hope you're doing okay! xx
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.