The Student Room Group

How good is economics at York?

I have an offer for PPE but I'm mainly interested in economics. How does it compare to universities like Bristol or Nottingham?

Also what about UEA? Might put that as my insurance.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Adrono
I have an offer for PPE but I'm mainly interested in economics. How does it compare to universities like Bristol or Nottingham?

Also what about UEA? Might put that as my insurance.

Thanks!

York is very well respected for economics and has a large offering of modules.
If you have an offer for Economics at Nottingham, I would take that over anywhere else, if your interest is in Econ. But by no means PPE at York is a bad course.
Reply 3
Original post by RooT_Fifteen
If you have an offer for Economics at Nottingham, I would take that over anywhere else, if your interest is in Econ. But by no means PPE at York is a bad course.

Unfortunately I've been rejected by Nottingham. But I do have an offer for PPE from Warwick, which is even better; I'm just not sure I'll achieve the grades as their conditions are pretty high. I'm wondering, mainly, in case I ended up to York instead, how much I'd be missing in terms of career prospects, as my impression is that the gap between the two universities is quite substantial.
Original post by Adrono
Unfortunately I've been rejected by Nottingham. But I do have an offer for PPE from Warwick, which is even better; I'm just not sure I'll achieve the grades as their conditions are pretty high. I'm wondering, mainly, in case I ended up to York instead, how much I'd be missing in terms of career prospects, as my impression is that the gap between the two universities is quite substantial.

You can't really put a quantitative value on how much you'll be "missing out" unfortunately.

Only thing I can add is that if you are interested in a career in IBD/S&T, Warwick is regarded to be the bottom end of so-called "target universities" so going to Warwick over York (regardless of course taken in a lot of cases) will definitely land you more interviews ceteris paribus.
Reply 5
Original post by RooT_Fifteen
You can't really put a quantitative value on how much you'll be "missing out" unfortunately.

Only thing I can add is that if you are interested in a career in IBD/S&T, Warwick is regarded to be the bottom end of so-called "target universities" so going to Warwick over York (regardless of course taken in a lot of cases) will definitely land you more interviews ceteris paribus.

I have emphasized the point in your post which, in real life, is never true.

Edit: Also, the poster doesn't even mention wanting to go into IBD/S&T.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending