The Student Room Group

Hilsborough inquest verdict

So the verdicts of the Hillsborough disaster have been reached and finds that those fans were unlawfully killed, least the families have got justice now, thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36138337

Scroll to see replies

Calls for blood i expect, but havent most of the people died? It was an accident waiting to happen, but it could also have happened at many other grounds round the country as they were different times. the taylor report and all seater staium changed that. Good for the families to have stuck it out so long. Just have to wait and see what action if any is taken next. Sure the lawyers will be poring over things to see if there are any claims to be made.
About time too.

Perhaps Liverpool fans will have something else to talk about now.
Let's see if they can't sue Kelvin McKenzie as an individual and the Sun as a newspaper now. Not to mention some of the other toads who chipped in to make racist comments about people from Liverpool over the years since then.
Original post by 999tigger
Calls for blood i expect, but havent most of the people died? It was an accident waiting to happen, but it could also have happened at many other grounds round the country as they were different times. the taylor report and all seater staium changed that. Good for the families to have stuck it out so long. Just have to wait and see what action if any is taken next. Sure the lawyers will be poring over things to see if there are any claims to be made.

Well they reckon they will try for charges for the Stadium commander now.
Calls for blood i expect .

It was about far more than calls for blood. The Police propagated wholly false stories about the behaviour of the fans to deflect away from their own culpability. For the Liverpool fans to be blamed for something when they were the victims... it is easy to understand why they have fought for so long.

Original post by Rock Fan
Well they reckon they will try for charges for the Stadium commander now.

And there's calls to disband SYP
http://www.mann4bassetlaw.com/mann_fresh_start_needed_for_south_yorkshire_police

Between the incompetence of the leadership on the day and in planning, the leaks of misinformation to the press, the doctoring of statements, the mysterious disappearance of CCTV tape from the control room and the refusals throughout the decades to take honest part in investigations it's not a terrible idea.
(edited 8 years ago)

Which is all well and good, but they will still need a police force and how many relevant officers actually work there anymore?
Which is all well and good, but they will still need a police force and how many relevant officers actually work there anymore?

Noone is saying that there shouldn't be a police force in the area - just that the current management and organisational structure needs to go
"There are two clear options to bring this about either by creating a police force based on Sheffield City Region or a merger with West Yorkshire Police."
Original post by PQ
And there's calls to disband SYP
http://www.mann4bassetlaw.com/mann_fresh_start_needed_for_south_yorkshire_police

Between the incompetence of the leadership on the day and in planning, the leaks of misinformation to the press, the doctoring of statements, the mysterious disappearance of CCTV tape from the control room and the refusals throughout the decades to take honest part in investigations it's not a terrible idea.

Read any of the books on the Jimmy Savile case and you see much the same kinds of conduct by the police forces of Yorkshire there. It seems there are endemic and widespread deficiencies in their ethical standards generally going back decades.
Original post by PQ
Noone is saying that there shouldn't be a police force in the area - just that the current management and organisational structure needs to go
"There are two clear options to bring this about either by creating a police force based on Sheffield City Region or a merger with West Yorkshire Police."

Yes and im saying its pretty pointless as its a different organisation to the one that was in operation 27 years ago.If you read the Drew report, then he confirmed all this about the way they handled the Rotherham scandal to the way they operate now.

Neither of those two options make sense imo because you still have the rest of South Yorkshire to deal with and Sheffield is only a part of it.

Merging with West Yorkshire fails to recognise they are different regions and the people in S torkshire wont wnat to be dominated by their regional rivals, even if they wanted to merge. So imo I dont think either of the options are viable and would be anything more than namechanging.

If there were things wrong it was about the people in charge at the time, people who have long since left or died.
I mean surely as well we all knew it as a cover up.
Happy.

I know people who had loved ones who were lost at Hilsborough (actually did, although I'm aware most people in Liverpool apparently knew someone who was at Hilsborough if asked :sigh:) and hopefully, this can provide a small sense of closure for them and all of the other families in that position (although it's closure that is long overdue).

Original post by Quantex
It was about far more than calls for blood. The Police propagated wholly false stories about the behaviour of the fans to deflect away from their own culpability. For the Liverpool fans to be blamed for something when they were the victims... it is easy to understand why they have fought for so long

This.

The aftermath and the accusations made against Liverpool fans were disgusting. This verdict, also, gives a sense of closure to that, too.
Excellent news!
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Read any of the books on the Jimmy Savile case and you see much the same kinds of conduct by the police forces of Yorkshire there. It seems there are endemic and widespread deficiencies in their ethical standards generally going back decades.

Or the Rotherham scandal.
I mean surely as well we all knew it as a cover up.

I think everyone believed it to be as such, but there was enough doubt before this verdict that allowed some high powered politicians and also the newspapers and some members of the public (and of opposing teams, the Manchester United Europa match caused problems when there were motorway signs calling them "murdering scouse bastards" or words to that effect) to say that it was the fault of the fans and now that doubt isn't there. Apologies can be called for from those people, and others will agree because it is something with official backing now.

I hope there are prosecutions for the police who were grossly negligent.

Hearing the families leave the court singing You'll Never Walk Alone made me sob like a little baby though.
Not surprisingly the sun newspaper is taking a hammering as well

And that piece of **** Kelvin MacKenzie. He deserves it.

The only front page not to be reporting it.

Well, after the Times released a second edition where they covered it.
Original post by thunder_chunky
And that piece of **** Kelvin MacKenzie. He deserves it.

They should be laying charges for the sun editiors for printing false information at the time

Original post by minimarshmallow
The only front page not to be reporting it.

Well, after the Times released a second edition where they covered it.

Well people have been spamming the sun comments section saying they will boycott the newspaper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending