The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Computer Science: Does sussex teach object-orientated design/programming

Most module lists i've checked for other uni's state "object-orientated" but Sussex doesn't. Do they not teach it there, or am i overlooking something?
Yep it does. You should assume that, wherever you see programming in a course description, that it is object-oriented. If a University teached solely procedural programming on a Computer Science course then that would be very concerning.

The large majority of the code you write when you're here will be in Java but you'll also use languages like Python, Matlab and even some Assembly (AKA f***ing nightmare).
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Yeah you're right, I'm aware Java is OO, I was just confused by the fact that "Object-orientated programming" isn't listed as at other universities. But thank you for clearing that up for me.

Since I have your attention though, I would like to ask how you're experience of Computer science at Sussex has been so far?
Original post by ludd-sama
Yeah you're right, I'm aware Java is OO, I was just confused by the fact that "Object-orientated programming" isn't listed as at other universities. But thank you for clearing that up for me.

Since I have your attention though, I would like to ask how you're experience of Computer science at Sussex has been so far?

My experience is not entirely positive I'm afraid. There is, of course, really good teaching but I find a lot of the lecturers are terrible at lecturing and they stuff they teach you often doesn't prepare you for the assignments they give you.

I have learnt A LOT but a lot of it was due to my own research due to my desperation to get assignments completed to a good standard. Research wise Sussex is very big in AI so I would recommend studying Computer Science and AI as you'll learn a lot of new things.

However, despite my negative comment the three worst lecturers I have had do not work any more (thankfully) so things are looking up.

If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Reply 4
Original post by eagleclawsan
they stuff they teach you often doesn't prepare you for the assignments they give you.

Can you elaborate on this point, I would've thought that the assignments they set you would be directly in line with the stuff they covered in lectures and what not?

Also could you give me an example of an assignment you've been set? just so I can get an idea of the span.

And finally, the things you have been taught, do you feel were taught to a good standard, in which you feel you have a good grasp?
Original post by eagleclawsan
My experience is not entirely positive I'm afraid. There is, of course, really good teaching but I find a lot of the lecturers are terrible at lecturing and they stuff they teach you often doesn't prepare you for the assignments they give you.

I have learnt A LOT but a lot of it was due to my own research due to my desperation to get assignments completed to a good standard. Research wise Sussex is very big in AI so I would recommend studying Computer Science and AI as you'll learn a lot of new things.

However, despite my negative comment the three worst lecturers I have had do not work any more (thankfully) so things are looking up.

If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

i have a question, which computer science course did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest