The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Scroll to see replies

Really glad to see that the facts are winning over scaremongering and nationalism.
Original post by ivybridge
Too young to vote so my vote was for 'not voting' but I would vote to remain.

Because..

I don't mind which way people vote but i like to hear reasons.
What date is it?:redface:
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
The way to minimize war?

How many empires exist?

None. Why? Because they all told the unified government they considered themselves Poles not Russians. Indians not Brits, Algerians not French and so on.

States are mostly empires of sorts which survived and were ruled directly with citizens granted the same rights as natives. This is why the Welsh vote with the English at Westminster for example, they were ruled as a region of England for 300 years.
Original post by Ayaz789
What date is it?:redface:

June 23rd.
Original post by Rakas21
June 23rd.

Ahh i can vote then :biggrin: I turn 18 on june 6th :smile:
Original post by Ayaz789
Ahh i can vote then :biggrin: I turn 18 on june 6th :smile:

What are you going to vote?
Original post by Rakas21
On the contrary, i want out precisely because of the bigger picture. One big reason for example being that i don't believe the UK will ever vote to join the Euro or a federalised Euro-zone, both of which i support the existence of.

Essentially i have concluded that exit is inevitable and there's little point dithering now to leave in 30 years.

That is a very defeatist attitude.

It seems to me inevitable that the world will progress towards more and more union, politically and economically. It's the only way forward.
Original post by SalmaSalma
What are you going to vote?

I dont know because i dont know much about it :/
tell me some facts for & against?
Original post by Ayaz789

I feel like I would be biased if I gave you my points for staying in the EU and counter arguing the points for the remain campaign, so just check this link out and hopefully it will give you an insight into what both arguments are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32793642

:smile:Hope this helps

vote stay................................:colondollar:
The way to minimize war?

Yes, the very reason we created the EU.

How many empires exist?

None. Why? Because they all told the unified government they considered themselves Poles not Russians. Indians not Brits, Algerians not French and so on.

I don't see how you can compare an empire with a co-operating world union.

War is rooted in this very sense of national pride. Unions and partnerships dilute it. Humans are humans not Poles or Russians or Brits. Increasing fragmentation rather than unity will exacerbate nationalism, decrease co-operation and increase war.
Original post by macromicro
Yes, the very reason we created the EU.

I don't see how you can compare an empire with a co-operating world union.

War is rooted in this very sense of national pride. Unions and partnerships dilute it. Humans are humans not Poles or Russians or Brits. Increasing fragmentation rather than unity will exacerbate nationalism, decrease co-operation and increase war.

I don't agree, common statement which is accepted as fact these days, yes in a very literal sense humans are humans. Guess what though, I have nothing in common with some of these humans, and the greater geographic disparity the more that appears to the case.
I don't agree, common statement which is accepted as fact these days, yes in a very literal sense humans are humans. Guess what though, I have nothing in common with some of these humans, and the greater geographic disparity the more that appears to the case.

Absolute nonsense! You have the majority of factors in common with humans from other countries and a miniority of competing factors that seem greater than they are - this is an illusion, held up by nationalism and borders and lack of unity. We are all the same in essence but divides create the illusion of difference which people become proud of, discriminate over, and create wars from.

Try and view the human race as one large organism moving through time - look at the progress this organism has made from discovering fire up to discovering quantum theory. Everything we have done is a human achievement not French or Chinese or Indian or British but collectively HUMAN. The only way for us to survive as a species (and to understand the mysteries of the universe) is by expanding to new planets and to do this we need the collective effort and co-operation of humans on this planet. Working together means increasing unity not disparity.

I assure you that one day we will all be living in a world state - it won't be perfect and it will have problems but war will be lower, and progress will be spectacularly faster.
Reply 33
Original post by gladders
Speaking as one who is pro-EU I do not share this sentiment - I don't think the world will become one large union (and nor do I feel it is inherently desirable).

You are a fool then. That's the way things are heading. EU federalisation is the main goal, we will bring in more nations like turkey and so on, until we become a untied states of Europe. Africa have their own version as do parts of Asia and North America.

Eventually everything will be controlled by a single body. Sovereignty is dying
Original post by Hydeman
Finally! I've been wanting someone to make a referendum poll that gets posted on the homepage for a while now. Most of the recent ones have only had sample sizes of ~200 people. Looking forward to seeing the level of agreement/disagreement between this poll and the recent ones (which have differed quite a bit from the one from last year). :holmes:

Also, could you change the thread title to something more neutral like the question in the poll? The current one might influence how people vote. :K:

You never emailed back telling me how you were going to vote! :tongue:

So do you mind PMing me which you're going to vote?

It's scary how close this referendum is going to be due to short-sighted simpletons who wear Union Jack underwear and think we need to close the borders.

It would be a massive step back in the progression we've made and would have to be reversed at some point in the future. The entire world is going to be one large union eventually - we need to all get used to that fact and help achieve it.

(So I won't get carded, I've reworded the next part.)

I'm disgusted by you.

I've used passive voice for immunity.
The EU might as well be called the European conglomerate, just to give it that sinister business-like feel.
Original post by XcitingStuart

(So I won't get carded, I've reworded the next part.)

I'm disgusted by you.

I've used passive voice for immunity.

Learn to debate, Stuart. You'll be far more exciting.
Original post by Ayaz789

If we leave, we gain sovereignty, and protect the democracy that we have.

More money, we needn't pay membership fees (although I believe it is a little offset by the money the EU puts back in, but I'm no expert), and it's not as if we can't renegotiate trade deals.

We won't suddenly lose human rights, and worker rights and what not.

We gain more control of our borders, not being part of the EU free movement.

I care little about name puns. I only stuck with this username after I decided it for a game when I was like 11 on a crappy basis.

For what possible reason do you think it would be better if the entire world was only one union? And please don't say "united we stand" OWTTE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending