The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Poll

How will you be voting in the EU referendum?

A poll of 1,100 TSRians back in autumn showed that the majority of you want to remain in the EU: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3621353

Does that still ring true?

How are you going to vote? Tick your choice in the poll!

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, leaving the EU makes more sense than staying in, we spend soo much for just staying the EU alone, there more benefits for leaving than staying in :yep:
Original post by Queen Cersei
A poll of 1,100 TSRians back in autumn showed that the majority of you want to remain in the EU: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3621353

Finally! I've been wanting someone to make a referendum poll that gets posted on the homepage for a while now. Most of the recent ones have only had sample sizes of ~200 people. Looking forward to seeing the level of agreement/disagreement between this poll and the recent ones (which have differed quite a bit from the one from last year). :holmes:

Also, could you change the thread title to something more neutral like the question in the poll? The current one might influence how people vote. :K:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
To be honest, this is a student and left wing forum, and the left/liberal type voter loves the EU and everything it stands for. It's normal for remain to be way ahead
I was actually thinking it might help draw out some of the stronger opinions :tongue:
I'm on polling so I can't vote :frown: would be in if I did
I was actually thinking it might help draw out some of the stronger opinions :tongue:

It's not an open poll, so I suppose that helps. I still think people with less strong opinions might be tempted vote with the majority, though. There's a reason why votes in actual elections aren't counted and broadcast until the polls have closed. :tongue:

Fair enough but it isn't representative of the public.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's scary how close this referendum is going to be due to short-sighted simpletons who wear Union Jack underwear and think we need to close the borders.

It would be a massive step back in the progression we've made and would have to be reversed at some point in the future. The entire world is going to be one large union eventually - we need to all get used to that fact and help achieve it.
Original post by macromicro
It's scary how close this referendum is going to be due to short-sighted simpletons who wear Union Jack underwear and think we need to close the borders.

It would be a massive step back in the progression we've made and would have to be reversed at some point in the future. The entire world is going to be one large union eventually - we need to all get used to that fact and help achieve it.

Blimey. I'm glad you're not a leading figure in the remain campaign, you'd be the Eurosceptics' best weapon.

Speaking as one who is pro-EU I do not share this sentiment - I don't think the world will become one large union (and nor do I feel it is inherently desirable).
The young in this country have been indoctrinated by the left-wing infiltrated education system for many decades, now it's bearing fruit.

They forget that as the EU gets worse, most of the "righties" are well off due to ambition/hard-work and can go elsewhere, you will be left with the mess.
Original post by CleverSquirrel
To be honest, leaving the EU makes more sense than staying in, we spend soo much for just staying the EU alone, there more benefits for leaving than staying in :yep:

Our net contribution is £8.5 billion, which is quite a small percentage of the UK's budget. The other benefits are what is hard to work out, i.e. jobs indirectly created by EU and increased exports due to the single market.

Its these other benefits that are what will be the most important factor when considering to leave or stay, and how much we would be damaged if we left the single market. Spouting about the Norway model is all well and good, but there is no guarantee that we will get a deal that good. We'll obviously get some sort of deal in place but I am skeptical on the whole process tbh. I just think its better to not rock the boat.
Original post by gladders
Speaking as one who is pro-EU I do not share this sentiment - I don't think the world will become one large union (and nor do I feel it is inherently desirable).

It will. It's the natural progression.

From nomads to fragmented communities to countries to unions to a global state. It's essential for human progression, particularly when we are a multi-planetary species and need to communicate effectively with other planets. World co-ordination is the only way to achieve this - it's also the only way to minimise war and maximise human productivity.
Original post by paul514
Fair enough but it isn't representative of the public.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UK polls also show this. Just not as convincing as this one, which is the case in most referendums.
Original post by tengentoppa
Blimey. I'm glad you're not a leading figure in the remain campaign, you'd be the Eurosceptics' best weapon.

If I was, I wouldn't be insulting people's underwear - this is TSR not the London Palladium.

Most people who are anti-EU haven't considered the bigger picture. They have short-sighted reasons to leave, mostly revolving around national pride rather than pride for the human race.
The closer we get, the more i'm probably going to vote to Leave.

I still believe the referendum should not have occurred and condemn both campaigns for their idiocy though.
If I was, I wouldn't be insulting people's underwear - this is TSR not the London Palladium.

Most people who are anti-EU haven't considered the bigger picture. They have short-sighted reasons to leave, mostly revolving around national pride rather than pride for the human race.

On the contrary, i want out precisely because of the bigger picture. One big reason for example being that i don't believe the UK will ever vote to join the Euro or a federalised Euro-zone, both of which i support the existence of.

Essentially i have concluded that exit is inevitable and there's little point dithering now to leave in 30 years.
Too young to vote so my vote was for 'not voting' but I would vote to remain.
It will. It's the natural progression.

From nomads to fragmented communities to countries to unions to a global state. It's essential for human progression, particularly when we are a multi-planetary species and need to communicate effectively with other planets. World co-ordination is the only way to achieve this - it's also the only way to minimise war and maximise human productivity.

The way to minimize war?

How many empires exist?

None. Why? Because they all told the unified government they considered themselves Poles not Russians. Indians not Brits, Algerians not French and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest