The Student Room Group

Experience with children when applying for PGCE

Hey there,
Just looking for some advice/guidance on this. I'm planning on applying for secondary history/modern studies when applications open up again later this year. I have a 2:1 in History and Politics and an MSC in Political Communications. I'm planning on applying to a variety of different Scottish universities.
Basically, in terms of experience with children I had one week's work experience at a primary school when I was around 15 years old. When I was 16 I volunteered for a term at a secondary school for pupils with additional support needs. And then at uni I tutored history and modern studies for 2 and a half years.
Basically I have quite a lot of tutoring experience but my classroom experience might be too dated? I'm thinking I might need to get some more recent experience before applications open up again?

Patrick.
How old are you now? It might all be out-dated.

It never hurts to get more experience as schools are constantly changing.

You can try and arrange school experience through the School Experience Programme
(https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/getting-school-experience)

Or you can arrange your own voluntary placements (minimum 2 weeks) - be aware that schools are in exam seasons atm, so you may not hear a response. You could volunteer with children's charities (NSPCC etc)

You can apply for a job within the education sector (TA, Mentor, Cover Supervisors, Unqualified Cover Teacher (via agency) ), or with children in general (Support work, children's clubs).

Make sure the experience is relevant to the age group you want to teach, and join the ITT fb group for more advice (see signature link).
Original post by Findlay6
How old are you now? It might all be out-dated.

It never hurts to get more experience as schools are constantly changing.

You can try and arrange school experience through the School Experience Programme
(https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/getting-school-experience)

Or you can arrange your own voluntary placements (minimum 2 weeks) - be aware that schools are in exam seasons atm, so you may not hear a response. You could volunteer with children's charities (NSPCC etc)

You can apply for a job within the education sector (TA, Mentor, Cover Supervisors, Unqualified Cover Teacher (via agency) ), or with children in general (Support work, children's clubs).

Make sure the experience is relevant to the age group you want to teach, and join the ITT fb group for more advice (see signature link).

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm 22 years old. So most of the school experience was in 2010 and then my tutoring experience was 2012-2014. I was looking into the opportunities in https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/getting-school-experience but I'm not sure if that only applies to England/Wales and not Scotland? I'm researching things like Teaching Assistant posts and such and I'll definitely join the Facebook group ! :smile:
Original post by paddyraggy1993
Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm 22 years old. So most of the school experience was in 2010 and then my tutoring experience was 2012-2014. I was looking into the opportunities in https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/getting-school-experience but I'm not sure if that only applies to England/Wales and not Scotland? I'm researching things like Teaching Assistant posts and such and I'll definitely join the Facebook group ! :smile:

I'd say it was outdated. Get into Teaching have a free helpline you can call. Ask them!

It takes like 5 mins to register and search so give it search.

Don't rule out Cover Supervisor - you're essentially a cover teacher. The experience is invaluable (albeit scary at first as you're the only adult in a room of 30).
Awesome, will see you there :smile:
Hi Patrick,

I'm starting my PGDE in English in August this year so hope I can give you some recent feedback, specifically for applying to Scottish universities.

Unfortunately for you History and Modern Studies are two of the more competitive secondary subjects, with only around 7-8 places per uni. However you have some advantage in that you have both a masters degree and an honours degree.

Your tutoring experience will definitely support your application. As mentioned some more recent experience in a secondary school is a must, especially with the major changes to qualifications and the curriculum over the past few years. How much? That is the million dollar question. Obviously the more, the better, but quality over quantity is really what matters. If you can, aim to gain experience of a range of year groups and abilities and perhaps other departments such as pupil support.

Please let me know if I can help you anymore. Good luck with your plans!
Reply 5
I applied for PGCE with 0 experience then did a one day 'experience programme' and got in no problem.
I would recommend you get as much experience as possible. It isn't just about getting in. You might like the idea of working with children but the reality is very different. I have been working in a school as a TA for about 8 months now in preparation for my training year. I have had some incredible days but also some really low days. There is so much pressure. All the time. Safeguarding issues. I work at a school in a disadvantaged area and so it is quite difficult. It has really helped me decide however that I do want to become a teacher.
Original post by JamieInPompey
I would recommend you get as much experience as possible. It isn't just about getting in. You might like the idea of working with children but the reality is very different. I have been working in a school as a TA for about 8 months now in preparation for my training year. I have had some incredible days but also some really low days. There is so much pressure. All the time. Safeguarding issues. I work at a school in a disadvantaged area and so it is quite difficult. It has really helped me decide however that I do want to become a teacher.

This. Entirely this.

I'm coming to the end of my PGDE, and where there were 400 of us at the start of the year, I believe more than 50 have dropped out because it just wasn't for them. This year had a particularly high turnover as I'm led to believe, but they all obviously had 'enough' experience to get into the course.

You would not believe how stressful this course can be, even more so if it's not for you. Don't risk it. Get experience working with kids - classroom shadowing experience is great, but until you're up in front of the class or running a youth group, you'll never really know if it's your thing or not.
Working in SATs week. Jeez! Those poor kids. We have had tears. Could you deal with that? Telling a child that thinks the test is going to be the end of the world if they do not "pass", that it is not as important as everyone makes it out to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending