The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough or Sussex uni for English lit

I was just wondering if I could get any help/advice on whether to go Loughborough or Sussex next year, I've received offers from both but I don't know which one to put as my firm!

Sussex is meant to be quite good for English and is also near Brighton which i hear has good nightlife.
But then I really liked that the lougbborough course is all coursework and I like the student union and that its near nottingham, But I didn't like the town and how its quite sporty.

Was just wondering If I could have some advice on anyone who was/is in a similar position, does it affect you that Loughborough is sporty if your not a sporty person and is it effort to travel to Nottingham? and how Sussex is in general and if it's effort to travel to Brighton. And how English is at both of these unis?

Thanks x
Reply 1
Hi Katrina,

So lovely to hear that you're considering studying English at university. Although demanding it will be an extremely rewarding course.

If I were in your shoes I would consider sussex as both the coin and the play told u so, you massive bellend

lols x

Original post by katrinasweeney98
I was just wondering if I could get any help/advice on whether to go Loughborough or Sussex next year, I've received offers from both but I don't know which one to put as my firm!

Sussex is meant to be quite good for English and is also near Brighton which i hear has good nightlife.
But then I really liked that the lougbborough course is all coursework and I like the student union and that its near nottingham, But I didn't like the town and how its quite sporty.

Was just wondering If I could have some advice on anyone who was/is in a similar position, does it affect you that Loughborough is sporty if your not a sporty person and is it effort to travel to Nottingham? and how Sussex is in general and if it's effort to travel to Brighton. And how English is at both of these unis?

Thanks x
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2

Thanks x

Hey ! I'm also considering firming Lboro for Lit (and Publishing!)
I'm in no way sporty what so ever and at the applicant day I talked to lots of students that weren't either. Yeah, the town is a bit naff, but I think the campus makes up for it? :smile:

Thanks x

Hi Katrina

Great to hear that you're considering Loughborough :biggrin:

I'm a graduate of the English Department myself and I honestly can't recommend it highly enough. The course is really varied - the first year gives you a broad grounding in lots of areas ranging from poetry to linguistics to literary theory and sets the foundations from the rest of the programme. You also have the opportunity to choose several optional modules alongside the compulsory ones. This was one of the main attractions of the course for me as I had so much scope to choose modules that were of most interest to me. Another thing I loved about the Department is how supportive the staff are. Lecturers are always contactable via email and are more than happy to meet up one-to-one if necessary. I enjoyed my time in the Department so much that I've since stayed on to postgraduate study.

Aside from the course, Loughborough really offered me the best of both worlds. I'm actually from Nottingham myself and really appreciated the community feel of living in a smaller town which has a really 'studenty' feel to it but it was also great to be able to jump on a train and get home within half an hour. Travel to the bigger cities in the area couldn't be easier. We have a really regular bus service that runs right through campus and drops off at both the town centre and the train station. Leicester, Nottingham and Derby are all within half an hour either by car or train and tickets cost less than £10. If you're looking to go further afield London is less than 1.5 hours by direct train.

In terms of Loughborough's reputation for being only for the sporty, I would definitely say that this isn't something you need to worry about! The facilities are great if you want to try a few sports for a laugh but they're by no means the only extracurricular option available to you on campus. Alongside the fantastic nightlife (we won Best Students' Union at the recent WhatUni Awards), there are over 100 student societies to choose from. We also put on plenty of arts-based events - free film screenings, spoken word events and student-led theatre productions.

Hope this answers some of your questions. If there's anything else you'd like to know about the course or life at Loughborough more generally, just shout! :smile:

Teresa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending