The Student Room Group

Studying Japanese at Uni

Does anyone know which unis offer Japanese courses that do not need to be studied from a beginner level?
More like an intermediate level such as somewhere around N3 level of the JLPT.
Original post by Like A Magic
Does anyone know which unis offer Japanese courses that do not need to be studied from a beginner level?
More like an intermediate level such as somewhere around N3 level of the JLPT.

I know that that at SOAS you can enter directly into year 2 if your Japanese is good enough.
Reply 2
Original post by Squaresquirrel
I know that that at SOAS you can enter directly into year 2 if your Japanese is good enough.

Thanks
At Leeds Uni you can choose between an Intermediate or Beginners Course. I did Intermediate and I think my level of Japanese was lower than N3 Level. If you're at N3 Level you should have no problem passing the placement test for intermediate.

(I did the IB and took Japanese B SL and got a 6 (not sure this helps you understand what my level of Japanese was at the beginning of uni).)
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure Oxford Brookes does Japanese at beginner, GCSE or post GCSE (A-level???) level :smile:
You can test into second year level classes (post A level) at Newcastle, too :smile:
Original post by VickyDoodle
You can test into second year level classes (post A level) at Newcastle, too :smile:

Can confirm :smile:

I also knew someone who was able to skip Semester 1 Japanese and join the classes for Semester 2 of first year because he had GCSE Japanese. So the flexibility is there.

All the best,

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending