The Student Room Group

Mathematics or Spanish?

I am interested in a career in investment banking or elsewhere in the financial sector and I'm trying to decide what uni course to apply for next year.
I'm considering Mathematics or Spanish (probably with another language eg German).

Would either of these be suitable? Which is better?
Original post by gracetrivett
I am interested in a career in investment banking or elsewhere in the financial sector and I'm trying to decide what uni course to apply for next year.
I'm considering Mathematics or Spanish (probably with another language eg German).

Mathematics would be more helpful Imo. :smile: Just from what I have seen.
Original post by gracetrivett

I've moved this to the investment banking forum :smile:
degree doesn't matter, get into a good uni:

Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL

~80% of investment banking classes come from the aforementiond schools
It seems that maths opens more finance doors in general but for IB and other roles open to non-specific graduates it really doesn't matter. Whatever you enjoy / can get an offer for at a target uni / will get a good grade in at uni is fine. Generally speaking, the less relevant the university the more relevant the degree seems to need to be but I'm not convinced that this can't be mitigated, having seen odd subjects from vaguely branded universities in front office roles.

Spanish comes with a year abroad in the third (penultimate) year, right? Would you be back in time for a summer internship? Maybe you could do one at one of their Spanish banks? I mean, if you can wrangle it, a year abroad sounds like a fantastic opportunity not to mention having fluency in a foreign language which so long as you're realistically certain about your employment prospects is a great personal addition to your life. On the other hand, maths is probably more sensible, versatile towards high paying jobs and probably of more value in regards to the analysis skills it'll train into you.

Really I think whatever you enjoy most would be better, given you're more likely to get where you need to for finance. Might you consider maths with a year abroad if possible and want to marry to two? Most universities have a language school that teaches post a level stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gr8wizard10
degree doesn't matter, get into a good uni:

Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL

~80% of investment banking classes come from the aforementiond schools

^ This /thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't do a course you could fail just because you're trying to fit in. It won't end well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending