The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not really, its just another point. Get more marks if you explained the liquidity ...
Did anyone mention about in Question 5 the startup company "Halos 'n' Horns" being featured on the Channel 4 documentary Make Me A Million?
Reply 42
Didn't you have to suggest recommendations based on the analysis of the strengths and weaknesses? Which isn't just writing about the Ss and Ws?
Reply 43
After taking in account the strengths and weakness, then do a evaluation
irfan121
After taking in account the strengths and weakness, then do a evaluation

I structured my answer as recommended by my Teacher:

•

Strengths

•

Weaknesses

•

Recommendations

•

Conclusion

Apparantly including subheadings for each of these segments gains you can extra 5 marks for synthesis, though this I am dubious about.
Reply 45
you will lose 5 marks for not doing subheadings? i doubt it. Since when did a report have to contain subheadings? a think the marks or for the to, from, date and the report title.
Reply 46
kirstinx
Didn't you have to suggest recommendations based on the analysis of the strengths and weaknesses? Which isn't just writing about the Ss and Ws?

yeahh i think that was my downfall, what did you recommend? i blabbed on about advertising in europe, more refurbishment, gettin to the root cause of customer complaints, taking advantage of the historical cities and using that in an ad or something allong those lines, what did everyone else recommend?
KiD
thought it was ok.... der was a lot to writ about i just found it difficult picking out which bits go where, my strengths were their gearing wasgood so if they wanted to get better training they could take out a loan, and the 2nd one was that the exchange rate looked good to advertise in ameriica and it was cheaper for the EU visitors to spend here so it might be an idea to advertise there.
my weaknesses were the OBVIOUS labur turnover problem o i mentioned better motivation there and the othr weaknesses was the capacity utilisation problem. i think i messed the report up though im just not sure.
i did the starbucks question ... nowhere here seems to have done that but loads of people in my college did dat one ...im not sure about any of it now so il jus have to wait and see i guess :confused:

wow sounds like you and me replied fairly similarly!
i defo chose starbucks as i did a presentation on them about 2 months back!:smile:
Reply 48
gazagroove89
wow sounds like you and me replied fairly similarly!
i defo chose starbucks as i did a presentation on them about 2 months back!:smile:

for starbucks wha did u write, i rote bout economies and diseconies of scale, and they need t luk at macroecoomic fimplications like exchange raes cos of the diff starbucks in 40 countries and the organisational structure.. what bout u?? i ran outa time it was a real rush job :mad:
erm if i remember correctly

i sed they shudnt grow:
based on future of the market, the increase of competiton like costa,+ is market near saturation? shud they diversify using brand name, spread risks, should the current market saturate or become too competitive etc.....
depending on economy, demand, exchange rates, GDP etc...

erm ..the effects of further growth on capacity, cashflow, further recruitment / training, hence more cost, employee morale etc...

i wrote a fair bit tbh

especially as i badly timed unit4, had to do a good job of unit5!
Reply 50
Can i just ask by doing 4 points 2 ADV 2 DIS that are explained and analysed enough? I mean people have done in total 7/8 which i believen is impossible to do in 40 minutes which are analysed and everything?????
Reply 51
gazagroove89
erm if i remember correctly

i sed they shudnt grow:
based on future of the market, the increase of competiton like costa,+ is market near saturation? shud they diversify using brand name, spread risks, should the current market saturate or become too competitive etc.....
depending on economy, demand, exchange rates, GDP etc...

erm ..the effects of further growth on capacity, cashflow, further recruitment / training, hence more cost, employee morale etc...

i wrote a fair bit tbh

especially as i badly timed unit4, had to do a good job of unit5!

do you rekon i was really off track? with what i said?
well i did 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses, but kinda incorporated some other points in them and then developed them till i had nothing else to say
KiD
do you rekon i was really off track? with what i said?

yours seem fairly valid to me!
i dont personally think theres anything off track with what u put down at all dude
Reply 54
gazagroove89
yours seem fairly valid to me!
i dont personally think theres anything off track with what u put down at all dude

i hope so, but thanks made me feel a lot better about it :smile:
Reply 55
irfan121
Can i just ask by doing 4 points 2 ADV 2 DIS that are explained and analysed enough? I mean people have done in total 7/8 which i believen is impossible to do in 40 minutes which are analysed and everything?????

You're not supposed to just point out lots strengths and weaknesses...just pick 2/3 weaknesses and strengths and incorporate other points into it aswell. There's only 8 marks available for content therefore it's a complete waste of time just making point after point.
Reply 56
krus1
yeahh i think that was my downfall, what did you recommend? i blabbed on about advertising in europe, more refurbishment, gettin to the root cause of customer complaints, taking advantage of the historical cities and using that in an ad or something allong those lines, what did everyone else recommend?

That's scary, i think my conclusion was very much the same as yours. I also included employee motivation because labour turnover was so high for Bath and Cambridge. I suggest Hannah benchmark against Oxford because they had highest for everything to see where things were going wrong.

I also did the Starbucks question but completely ****ed it up! My mind went blank! I know it was a lack of sugar, i'd only had 2 plain pieces of toast and so my blood sugar was running low by the time i got to the last question. Soooo annoyed! I just hope my first unit 5 question was good enough to compensate.
Reply 57
Hev456
That's scary, i think my conclusion was very much the same as yours. I also included employee motivation because labour turnover was so high for Bath and Cambridge. I suggest Hannah benchmark against Oxford because they had highest for everything to see where things were going wrong.

I also did the Starbucks question but completely ****ed it up! My mind went blank! I know it was a lack of sugar, i'd only had 2 plain pieces of toast and so my blood sugar was running low by the time i got to the last question. Soooo annoyed! I just hope my first unit 5 question was good enough to compensate.

oh well, i had that problem by the middle of section b too, i hate morning exams - no time for revision or breakfast, yeahh i picked up on the labour turnover however in one of the appendix it said 75% are perm staff and 25% were temp, so it was probs the temp staff leaving causing high labout turnover
Reply 58
Lolly-88
You're not supposed to just point out lots strengths and weaknesses...just pick 2/3 weaknesses and strengths and incorporate other points into it aswell. There's only 8 marks available for content therefore it's a complete waste of time just making point after point.

How did u structure yours?
ianohunter
you will lose 5 marks for not doing subheadings? i doubt it. Since when did a report have to contain subheadings? a think the marks or for the to, from, date and the report title.

According to this poster at least.