The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
lljaneth
omg! that is essentially all that came up! what a lucky guess.

yes i did C, how did u find it? i did pressure groups and congress for my 60 markers, u?

i know i was so lucky!

i was contemplating the pressure group essay but thought i had more of a A grade response for the race one - i dont know however if the risk will pull off

as question was like polictical strategies to improve equality whereas i only did it about affirmative action :s-smilie:

argh. also i thought pressure groups influence on senate was bit of an off question

and i was threw on the flexible constitution - wrote firstly about amendment process then went on to sep. of powers and gridlock but dont know if i got enough down on the latter :s

also did the congress effective in const. nature

half the class including me wrote about leg, rep, and srutiny while the other half wrote about checks and balances..
so dont know about that one either!

just wish it was more obvious or a more difintive answer instead of trying to second guess what the examiner wants - or maybe thats justr me!

xx
Reply 41
lydster
i know i was so lucky!

i was contemplating the pressure group essay but thought i had more of a A grade response for the race one - i dont know however if the risk will pull off

as question was like polictical strategies to improve equality whereas i only did it about affirmative action :s-smilie:

argh. also i thought pressure groups influence on senate was bit of an off question

and i was threw on the flexible constitution - wrote firstly about amendment process then went on to sep. of powers and gridlock but dont know if i got enough down on the latter :s

also did the congress effective in const. nature

half the class including me wrote about leg, rep, and srutiny while the other half wrote about checks and balances..
so dont know about that one either!

just wish it was more obvious or a more difintive answer instead of trying to second guess what the examiner wants - or maybe thats justr me!

xx

well i went for the pressure group question just cos it was so straightforward..but i suppose if i had revised race stuff i might have done that instead.

hmm i didnt talk about gridlock or seperation of powers..it wasnt about legislation it was about constitution so i went with the usual arguments:
i talked about the ammendment process-only 27 ammendments etc. and then said but actually it can be said to be flexible because a) supreme court can alter meaning e.g. brown case, b)congressional acts can alter important constitutional processes e.g. voting rights act gave blacks the ability to vote thus increased the US franchise.
but u might be right..i wasnt too sure..i hadnt revised constitions at all-i actually forgot they were part of unit5.

for congress-id have to go with the first half of your class, essentially the same question came up in unit2, so i structured it the same way-roles are legislation, checks and representation so i just went thro each one arguing how congress is effective and not effective in each. but i wasnt sure if they wanted more theory than reality..i mostly wrote about recent examples rather than rambling on about how it should be in theory..:s-smilie:
the first half of your class also did checks and balances with scrutinisation anyway..
what did u do for the const one?
ah well, we'll see how it goes. january 07 had the best questions! pah.
what were ur section A questions?
i stayed far away from the pressure group and senate one..all i could think was lobbying and had very few examples for that.
Reply 42
sorry u did say u wrote what the first half of your class wrote. yeah i think our one is right..
Reply 43
Eh, did Route D and it went OK. Ended up guessing which topics would come up that I liked (eg not UN/international law) and spent most time revising on those, and they duly came up :smile: Though I did do the whole answering two questions in one section bit - they better mark it!

Short answers on Neocolonialism/Col - which was a bit of waffle about each rather than clear similarities differences ah well - and EU enlargement being criticised, which was fine, though I wonder if I was meant to put in more positive points? Did Russia asserting itself and war crime trials on the other unit. Was really nice as I'd read up lots of recent stuff about Russia and put it all in so hopefully I will seem nicely up-to-date, and as 'recent' war crimes trials just focused on Saddam, Milosevic & Rwanda and built in their aims/effectiveness.

Long essay on EU supranationalism - erk! How to get so many marks out of that? Kind of got my way through everything I had in my notes, and almost got sidetracked into talking about federalism but caught myself before I did. Really bored of EU by then. And then the War on Terror being counterproductive on the other paper, ugh! Did ideology clash, Iraq, Afghanistan, bits of Palestine and US imperialism and UK London bombings and Islamophobia. I didn't really know how to structure that one so much...

Hopefully went OK, though it seems like my short questions were more solid than my longer ones :/ Kind of enjoyed the freshness of talking about Russia.
Hate how many times I mentioned EU Constitution/enlargement/QMV and the Iraq as examples though, got kinda dull. At least it was on different papers.
Reply 44
lljaneth
well i went for the pressure group question just cos it was so straightforward..but i suppose if i had revised race stuff i might have done that instead.

hmm i didnt talk about gridlock or seperation of powers..it wasnt about legislation it was about constitution so i went with the usual arguments:
i talked about the ammendment process-only 27 ammendments etc. and then said but actually it can be said to be flexible because a) supreme court can alter meaning e.g. brown case, b)congressional acts can alter important constitutional processes e.g. voting rights act gave blacks the ability to vote thus increased the US franchise.
but u might be right..i wasnt too sure..i hadnt revised constitions at all-i actually forgot they were part of unit5.

for congress-id have to go with the first half of your class, essentially the same question came up in unit2, so i structured it the same way-roles are legislation, checks and representation so i just went thro each one arguing how congress is effective and not effective in each. but i wasnt sure if they wanted more theory than reality..i mostly wrote about recent examples rather than rambling on about how it should be in theory..:s-smilie:
the first half of your class also did checks and balances with scrutinisation anyway..
i stayed far away from the pressure group and senate one..all i could think was lobbying and had very few examples for that.

hmm.....i did the Congress question and I did the checks and balances-walked out the exam room and realised shudve done rep, scrutiny etc and their effectiveness-pretty depressed now..need to get 90% ums in politics-rlly dnt think thats gonna happen anymore..have u got any ideas bout wot mite be on mod 6?i'm thinking elections but rlly not sure..
Reply 45
DM3
hmm.....i did the Congress question and I did the checks and balances-walked out the exam room and realised shudve done rep, scrutiny etc and their effectiveness-pretty depressed now..need to get 90% ums in politics-rlly dnt think thats gonna happen anymore..have u got any ideas bout wot mite be on mod 6?i'm thinking elections but rlly not sure..

well it was only one question in one module..you could have easily still gotten 90% ums, consiering u talked about the point that takes up most of the argument anyway.

hmm yeah im not sure either, i completely guessed wrong in 4+5 i was convinced Fed bureaucracy would appear-it was all i fully revised! eugh.
im just gonna revise constitution, executive and pressure groups and hope for the best. i retook 1+2 so am hoping i'll get away with waffling through most topics.
altho..unit 6 is 120ums..*rushes off to revise*

what 60marker did u do for unit4?
Reply 46
i did the party resurgence question..was ok...argh how were mod 1 and 2 this year? think u shud be ok if u did the resits! i cnt remember anything from last year...:s-smilie: o well...gd luck with it all!
Reply 47
DM3
i did the party resurgence question..was ok...argh how were mod 1 and 2 this year? think u shud be ok if u did the resits! i cnt remember anything from last year...:s-smilie: o well...gd luck with it all!

they were really good! i only revised two topics for each since i already had A's in them and so they werent my most crucial retakes, but i got VERY lucky and the questions matched my topics. but yeah otherwise i would not remember a thing about UK politics..especially as i dont find it geniunely interesting like i do the US.
what do u think u'll focus your revision on for unit 6?
Reply 48
I did route C and the 'Lame Duck' question for Unit 5

I realised afterwards that I got the wrong definition for 'lame duck' and hence answered it wrongly.

For some reason I thought 'Lame Duck' refers to a President who is up against an opposition Party who controls congress and so their limited with the power they have. So I answered it by writing about the powers of the President and how he is still powerful even when Congress is against him.

I'm very frustrated, I was so certain that's what it meant and so I answered it.

I really hope I get marks for it because I put such good points across

Do you think I would get marks for it?
Reply 49
Yeh im sure u will! That's kinda right coz its about the limits on the President..s'long as u mentioned Bush or some examples they'll definitely credit it! Don't worry...i cnt really talk tho...
Reply 50
robot1000
I did route C and the 'Lame Duck' question for Unit 5

I realised afterwards that I got the wrong definition for 'lame duck' and hence answered it wrongly.

For some reason I thought 'Lame Duck' refers to a President who is up against an opposition Party who controls congress and so their limited with the power they have. So I answered it by writing about the powers of the President and how he is still powerful even when Congress is against him.

I'm very frustrated, I was so certain that's what it meant and so I answered it.

I really hope I get marks for it because I put such good points across

Do you think I would get marks for it?

well what was the exact wording of the question? from what i remember its something about him being a lame duck in the second term elections? something long those lines. and the reasons for that would be i suppose yes:theres scope to judge him according to his first term, no:depends on how hes performed in his first term e.g. clinton was still liked, whether the policies he promised have been carried out, external influences.
so i suppose to an extent your argument could be valid in that it is more likely for a president to be a lame duck when he has an opposing congress..
but if you didnt answer the question directly..i cant see it reaching a level 3 response. but who knows, maybe theyll think u did understant the question and look at your arguments with that assumption.
Reply 51
DM3
Yeh im sure u will! That's kinda right coz its about the limits on the President..s'long as u mentioned Bush or some examples they'll definitely credit it! Don't worry...i cnt really talk tho...

Yeh I spoke about the recent Mid-term elections how Bush is now like a lame duck and he's against a democratic controlled congress.

I also mentioned about Clinton, who in 95 who was against Republican controlled Congress.

Apparently it's positive marking anyway so I really hope I get marks for it.

On Unit 4 I did the Mid-Term Question, the small Pressure group question and the 60 mark Pressure group question. It's not common for there to be a number of straight forward 60 mark questions on Unit 4 papers, so I assume the grade boundaries won't be as low as 60% as the previous past papers have been.
Reply 52
robot1000
Yeh I spoke about the recent Mid-term elections how Bush is now like a lame duck and he's against a democratic controlled congress.

I also mentioned about Clinton, who in 95 who was against Republican controlled Congress.

Apparently it's positive marking anyway so I really hope I get marks for it.

On Unit 4 I did the Mid-Term Question, the small Pressure group question and the 60 mark Pressure group question. It's not common for there to be a number of straight forward 60 mark questions on Unit 4 papers, so I assume the grade boundaries won't be as low as 60% as the previous past papers have been.

yeah thats what im worried about too..:s-smilie:
Reply 53

They had a really straight forward Pressure Groups question in Unit 4 and so I have a feeling that it might not appear on Unit 6

Congress and Parliament have come up in the last 2 years, so again I doubt that they would ask this question again

There wasn't a large Judiciary question in Unit 5 and they didn't ask a comparative Judiciary question last year and so it would probably come up.

These were the last 2 years of questions:

June 05

1) Compare and contrast the effectiveness of the US congress and the UK Parliament in controlling the executive

2) How successfully are civil liberties upheld in the UK and the USA

3) 'US pressure groups are more powerful than UK pressure groups.' Discuss.

4) Which State is more democratic, the UK or the USA?

June 06

1) 'The two-party system has grown stronger in the USA whilst it has grown weaker in the UK'. Discuss

2) Are heads of government in the UK and the USA as powerful as they appear to be?

3) 'Power has shifted towards central government in both the UK and USA, regardless of their formal constitutional arrangements.' Discuss

4) Compare and contrast the representative nature of the US Congress and the UK Parliament
Reply 54
robot1000

They had a really straight forward Pressure Groups question in Unit 4 and so I have a feeling that it might not appear on Unit 6

Congress and Parliament have come up in the last 2 years, so again I doubt that they would ask this question again

There wasn't a large Judiciary question in Unit 5 and they didn't ask a comparative Judiciary question last year and so it would probably come up.

These were the last 2 years of questions:

June 05

1) Compare and contrast the effectiveness of the US congress and the UK Parliament in controlling the executive

2) How successfully are civil liberties upheld in the UK and the USA

3) 'US pressure groups are more powerful than UK pressure groups.' Discuss.

4) Which State is more democratic, the UK or the USA?

June 06

1) 'The two-party system has grown stronger in the USA whilst it has grown weaker in the UK'. Discuss

2) Are heads of government in the UK and the USA as powerful as they appear to be?

3) 'Power has shifted towards central government in both the UK and USA, regardless of their formal constitutional arrangements.' Discuss

4) Compare and contrast the representative nature of the US Congress and the UK Parliament

yeah but theres only so much they can ask us about. either pressure groups of congress are probably still likely to come out, given they are 2 of 6 topics.
Reply 55
lljaneth

questions i chose SQ: African American loyalty to democrats - easy!
and pressure groups influence on senate.. then unit 5 i did flexible constitution and congress one that i cant remember??

for the influence on senate i think i blabbed on about lobbying, voting records,ads, influence on judicial nominations, crap like that but dont think i got enough down

your const approach sounds good, the voting rights - wouldnt of thought of that

for unit 6 am going to revise all unit 5 as are 4 out of the 6 topics
that and the fact that i hate the elections topic!

last exam tho woooooo!

xx
Evil Angry Cat
Anarchism short answer was great, feminism was slightly dodgy but the feminism essay was spot on...hopefully.

Yeah i agree with that about the short answer feminism question, kinda threw me a bit when i saw it - i talked about liberal feminists stressing the women's right to choose their own gender role and contrasted it with the radical feminist view that androgyny should replace gender bias, making the concept of gender irrelevant . . . sounds like a load of bull to me but it might just work.
truth_hurts
Yeah i agree with that about the short answer feminism question, kinda threw me a bit when i saw it - i talked about liberal feminists stressing the women's right to choose their own gender role and contrasted it with the radical feminist view that androgyny should replace gender bias, making the concept of gender irrelevant . . . sounds like a load of bull to me but it might just work.

Did you guys write about the differences on patriarchy too?
Reply 58
Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between traditional and one nation conservatism?

Thanks in advance
Paternal/One-nation/traditional are all essentially the same thing.

Take "traditional." Paternal and One-Nation are types of traditional conservatism because they focus on the ideas of Noblesse Oblige and uniting the classes (hence one-nation) due to the widening gulf between the rich and poor post-industrial revolution. This was pioneered by Disraeli.

MacMillan's "Middle way" was also paternalistic because he wanted a decent welfare state to look after the less affluent.

Latest