The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Bristol UWE or Sheffield Hallam?

Hey guys, basically I have the tough decision to make between studying Fine Art at Sheffield Hallam or Bristol UWE in September for 3 years. I am very indecisive so this is extremely hard for me. From my research, I can see the course are fairly similar so it is more deciding between the cities themselves, and also the facilities.
On one side, I would love to go to Bristol as I know it well, therefore it is a safe option and I have had my heart set on Briz for years. I live about an hour away so am close to family, home, friends, boyfriend etc. I visit Bristol quite a lot as some of my friends go to uni there, and it is a good place to go out- I LOVE the nightlife there, just my sort of scene. Also the accommodation looks really modern and great there.
However on the other side, I would like to try somewhere completely new, bit further away from everything I know- so exciting and an adventure. I've heard that Sheffield is such a friendly place, as well as a very cheap city to live in! It would be good to get out of my comfort zone and go up North. This is the riskier option, also the accommodation looks okay but some not as modern as Bristol's. The art building is in the city centre and easily accessible, however in Bristol it is a bus journey away into the countryside, which seems a bit annoying.
These are some of my views and I was wondering if anyone could help me out in deciding. I have to decide by June 8th, however I need to choose way before then as I don't want to be left with rubbish accommodation! Would be a great help if anyone could post what they think on either institution.
Thanks for your help! Ellie x
Hey Ellie!
I had the same uni choices until a few months back. For my vacations, I visited the UK to see the universities and quite liked the both of them.
But I decided to go with UWE as the environment seems more friendly.
The receptionist at Sheffield Hallam was very rude and while I was on the campus tour, the campus seemed all over the place and the student guide himself seemed so lost.
Also if you are planning to apply for student accommodation, UWE is very safe!
The one at sheffield hallam has around 680 rooms and only one student area! Can you believe it?
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
What about applying also at some low ranked pre-1992 universities instead of ex-polys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by elliemollie
Hey guys, basically I have the tough decision to make between studying Fine Art at Sheffield Hallam or Bristol UWE in September for 3 years. I am very indecisive so this is extremely hard for me. From my research, I can see the course are fairly similar so it is more deciding between the cities themselves, and also the facilities.
On one side, I would love to go to Bristol as I know it well, therefore it is a safe option and I have had my heart set on Briz for years. I live about an hour away so am close to family, home, friends, boyfriend etc. I visit Bristol quite a lot as some of my friends go to uni there, and it is a good place to go out- I LOVE the nightlife there, just my sort of scene. Also the accommodation looks really modern and great there.
However on the other side, I would like to try somewhere completely new, bit further away from everything I know- so exciting and an adventure. I've heard that Sheffield is such a friendly place, as well as a very cheap city to live in! It would be good to get out of my comfort zone and go up North. This is the riskier option, also the accommodation looks okay but some not as modern as Bristol's. The art building is in the city centre and easily accessible, however in Bristol it is a bus journey away into the countryside, which seems a bit annoying.
These are some of my views and I was wondering if anyone could help me out in deciding. I have to decide by June 8th, however I need to choose way before then as I don't want to be left with rubbish accommodation! Would be a great help if anyone could post what they think on either institution.
Thanks for your help! Ellie x

I would never ever go to Sheffield. i went there with college before and it was awful. dirty city students werent friendly just no no no. i was set on leeds for a long time but i didnt like leeds uni, but leeds beckett well i have higher grades than they want really. so i looked at bristol at first i wasnt keen..but now i cant imagine myself anywhere else. p.s. i live up north and it floods a lot haha. Have you considered Edinburgh or dundee? My friend is going to one of those to do graphic design as they are known for good art courses. But it is hard to get in. so good luck with your decidion but personally ... UWE:smile:
Original post by Ak47_21
I would never ever go to Sheffield. i went there with college before and it was awful. dirty city students werent friendly just no no no. i was set on leeds for a long time but i didnt like leeds uni, but leeds beckett well i have higher grades than they want really. so i looked at bristol at first i wasnt keen..but now i cant imagine myself anywhere else. p.s. i live up north and it floods a lot haha. Have you considered Edinburgh or dundee? My friend is going to one of those to do graphic design as they are known for good art courses. But it is hard to get in. so good luck with your decidion but personally ... UWE:smile:

I agree the students weren't friendly at all!
I asked 3 of them for directions and they grunted at me or pretended like I'm invisible and walked away..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending