The Student Room Group

Third attempt at University. Finance?

I attended UCL for one term in (Sep-Dec 2013) but left to change course. I then went back to UCL for one year (Sep-Jun 2014/15) But again left, this time due to financial constraints on finding suitable accommodation. I had expected to be allowed UCL accommodation as a first year student but this wasn't actualised.

I now am considering returning to a different university with the mindset of sticking it out and attraining a BA, but will I receive a suitable level, or any, funding from SFE? Have I used up my attempts?

Will be 24 years old by September Term beginning. IDK if that's important
Reply 1
Original post by Antz
I attended UCL for one term in (Sep-Dec 2013) but left to change course. I then went back to UCL for one year (Sep-Jun 2014/15) But again left, this time due to financial constraints on finding suitable accommodation. I had expected to be allowed UCL accommodation as a first year student but this wasn't actualised.

I now am considering returning to a different university with the mindset of sticking it out and attraining a BA, but will I receive a suitable level, or any, funding from SFE? Have I used up my attempts?

Will be 24 years old by September Term beginning. IDK if that's important

You've had two attempts at uni so are classed as using two years of finance, even though one attempt wasn't for the full year.

Because you've used two years of funding, you would not be eligible for funding for another first year. The calculation is (new course length + 1) - years already used, so for you it is 3+1-2 and you have 2 years of funding left. They work backwards, so the last 2 years of a new course would be funded but you would need to fund the first year yourself.

You can try to apply for CPR which would allow you to disregard one of your previous attempts. This is for if you have Compelling Personal Reasons meaning you had no option to drop out. It's usually for things like illness or family problems, though, and I've never heard of anyone being successful just because accommodation is expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending