The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
yoshi_105
First post don't judge :biggrin:

Found that test to be pretty hard if you ask me. I always seem to pick the wrong poem to compare when giving the option. We only studied cluster 1 so I was stuck with "What were they like?" - The only poem I actually didn't want to do. I compared it to "Night of the Scorpian".

As for section B, I'm pretty much ****ting myself cause I chose to describe my house but actually described what was in it.

Ah well, not taking it up for A Level and if worse comes to worse and I get a D, I'll retake in November.

I compared it to "Night of the Scorpion" aswell, but I talked about how the Hindu Culture was portrayed compared to the peaceful and calm culture which turned into turmoil because of the barbaric warfare. They both had to deal with a desperate situation and went into panic and violent and negative diction etc... So it should be okay.
S a n d h u
Yeah thats good. Was that in your conclusion too?

If you write like that I wouldn't get your hopes up..:rolleyes:

yep! :biggrin:

i don't know the criteria but is that an A?

(i know i'm silly for not knowing it all! :biggrin: .)
Reply 62
y is everyone saying this was the best paper of the two? paper one was BY FAR the best i think :smile:
I'm crap with poems, hate the things, but if there was one question I could write a fair bit about it was "Search for my Tongue" with the theme of identity. Was a nice surprise to see it.However I compared it with Half-Caste and after reading this thread it seems like "Presents from my Aunt in Pakistan" would have been the better choice. Still, all of those poems are about identity in some way so it's not like the choice was unjustified. I didn't take a pee before the exam so I did plenty during section A.

Section B I did the letter thing. Not sure I formatted the letter correctly though, only put one address at the top. Apparently they care more about the content than that kind of thing though, as long as it's recognisable as a letter. I didn't like any of the questions so I picked the one I thought I could do best. With more time I could have described better, but that requires more thought/imagination so I went for the letter. I was amazed that someone was finished after an hour and walked out. I wish I could write that fast. I would have spent the extra time adding more content/checking.
Reply 64
Just some thoughts wanted :smile:...

I did cluster 2, compared search for my tongue and love after love. Sounds like a strange choice to anyone? On reflection it does to me...but I think it worked OK. What do you think, anyone else do that?

I also chose to describe my house, i described what is in it as well....nothing wrong with that i hope?
Reply 65
It was OK. I only used a few quotes in the poem one though How bad is that?

Not bad. I hate it when people think they have to feel pressured to use quotes. Use them naturally!

I was saying to my friends before the exam that it would ALL come down to what the questions where because there's come I could write loads about, others I hate. And the question could not have been better! I compared What Were They Like with Blessing. Just talked about the structure of both, the metaphorical language in both, the description of what they 'were' like in WWTL, and use of colour in Blessing.

I've written so many practise essays along that line I should have done well, but I think my writing might have been a little unclear at times, perhaps even waffling.

The second question was bad though. I just couldn't think of anything! I hate, hate, hate answering questions as they are, like 'my house has green walls. My house has white ceilings. It has stairs, a garden and a kitchen sink.' I thought about doing one about a home in a totalitarian state, or the world as a whole, or a whole country, or an animal's habitat. But none of them clicked. Eventually I did question 6 and described my first day of school when I went dressed as a witch and explained how I liked to remember how socially unaware and ignorant I was, and how I never had to worry!

However I'm really, really disappointed with myself for it. It didn't really describe, it just more like commentary. And my heart wasn't really in it.

Thinking back now I wish I'd written about my home in terms on the earth and how global warming is screwing it up, or as it being in a convent.

I also thought about doing a schizophrenic’s view of their house - loving it and then hating it.

Can I do it again please? God, I'm SO pissed of with myself.
Reply 66
hi! i compared search with half-caste! i put about having two different identities and how society are prejudice and that people should stick up for what they beilive!! and i put about how having two identities is important coz is who you are and you should be proud of it! i wanted to be different!!so i was!!
Reply 67
:smile: hi! i compared search with half-caste! i put about having two different identities and how society are prejudice and that people should stick up for what they beilive!! and i put about how having two identities is important coz is who you are and you should be proud of it! i wanted to be different!!so i was!!
Reply 68
I did the same comparison, love after love and search for my tongue.
Yeah it works, they're both about identities being important.
I think its a good choice!
i did search for my tongue and compared it with hurricane hits england. Only because Hurricane hits england was the only poem i really revised lol. screwed up the writing to describe.
*sigh*
oh well
S a n d h u
Yeah thats good. Was that in your conclusion too?

If you write like that I wouldn't get your hopes up..:rolleyes:

yep! :biggrin:

i don't know the criteria but is that an A?

(i know i'm silly for not knowing it all! :biggrin: .)
Reply 71
Garfield we cant really tell you if thats an A or not because we dont know the rest of your essay!
Reply 72
i did blessing and what were they like.
we never learnt 'search for my tongue' which was annoying as i had no choice of question.
but i think it went ok.
i did the Describe question altho i kinda ran out of things to say :s-smilie:
I did Search and Presents, then the letter in section B.
Reply 74
I compared Search for my Tounge and Unrelated Incidents, mostly comparing the lack of standard English, and differentiating between Bahti's disappointment at being stuck in two worlds and Leonard's rant against the BBC and the pot calling the kettle black.

I also did the describe question. Rather easy.
Reply 75
I chose to do 'What were they like,' and 'Island Man.' I said that WWTL deals with a lost culture, and IM deals with a culture which no longer belongs with the person :/.

For the 'Describe your home' question, I wrote about the world being my home, and made it into a story :smile:. My teacher said about the 'thinking outside the box' thing, and that it sounded good ^.^
Reply 76
matthew.
Just some thoughts wanted :smile:...

I did cluster 2, compared search for my tongue and love after love. Sounds like a strange choice to anyone? On reflection it does to me...but I think it worked OK. What do you think, anyone else do that?

I also chose to describe my house, i described what is in it as well....nothing wrong with that i hope?

Yh ditto, seems like only 3 of us have though, and noone i spoke to at school. I just thought id be a little different with it, plus that was one of the ones i revised this morning. Just think though, the examiner will probs like it if they can have a breether from the rest of the poems...thats what im telling myself anyway...
motiv3
my teacher said that those who did describing the house should have 'thought outside the box' and related to how the house is to them like feelings and crap...they didnt want you to just literally describe a house cause thats plain and simplistic...thank god i did the teenager one lol

"Jumps around"
Ha. I related it to feelings and crap!
About how it related to the dysfuncinality and the wierd religious aspect in our house, like I used religious words randomly like, 'the water was still in the tub after the cleaning ritual'. And I said, 'It isn't heaven, it's not even home, it's a hell hole'.

I think it reflected my depression of taking the exam :p: ;happy2;
Reply 78
For everyone that actually described what was in your house....dont worry thats what i did! i was going to think outside the box and do something like the world as a hole, but i didnt want to make it too difficult for myself and get away from the actual description. the idea is quite simple, but if u use good language and descriptive techniques thats were ull get the marks.

an example of the kinda thing i wrote about:

"The wooden floor, delicately polished, was covered in a thick, white, sheepskin rug that warmed the feet of all that walked across it. The pale green walls complimented the dark mahogany table that sat in the centre of the room. Candle light flickered across paintings, hung with precision all along the back wall. The final room was the smallest. A tiny box of room that was dark and eerie. Along one wall was the old computer, covered in dust. Several lamps sat on a shelf, their lights dim."

im hoping that thats what they wanted anyway!!!!! :s-smilie: :redface:
I did, rather predictably, PFMA with SFMT. We'd actually done a similar question in class, though I don't know how well I've actually done on it. I probably could've done better, but hey.

As for section B, I did the explain about why teenagers shouldn't be criticised. I had a real go at school :biggrin:. It was pretty fun, but I have no idea how well I did. I think I did better on the persuade one I did the other day. I turned this one into more of a 1-sided arguement rather than explain, but hey.

Latest