The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did search for my tounge and half caste
Reply 81
jamie_90
Yh ditto, seems like only 3 of us have though, and noone i spoke to at school. I just thought id be a little different with it, plus that was one of the ones i revised this morning. Just think though, the examiner will probs like it if they can have a breether from the rest of the poems...thats what im telling myself anyway...

Hmm....i would have liked a greater number than 3 :biggrin:

I personally think it's fine, the two poems are both strongly about identity. "Search for my tongue" perhaps more obviously, but "Love After Love" is about loosing in touch with who you are to suit others, and then regaining that sense of personal identity right?

****.... just thought of something missed out lol. Didn't do much on imagery between the two. Ah well.
purple-girl

As for section B, I did the explain about why teenagers shouldn't be criticised. I had a real go at school :biggrin:. It was pretty fun, but I have no idea how well I did. I think I did better on the persuade one I did the other day. I turned this one into more of a 1-sided arguement rather than explain, but hey.

That sounds very similar to what i did, i ended up arguing instead of explaining..ah well that was always going to be my worst part of english so hopefully paper 1 , coursework and the poems question will get me through.

As for the poetry question i compared WWTL to Nothing's changed :smile:
Reply 83
jamie_90
Yh ditto, seems like only 3 of us have though, and noone i spoke to at school. I just thought id be a little different with it, plus that was one of the ones i revised this morning. Just think though, the examiner will probs like it if they can have a breether from the rest of the poems...thats what im telling myself anyway...

Lol yeah same! The examiner will kinda be less bored because ours will be unique..
Reply 84
Kasphlam
I chose to do 'What were they like,' and 'Island Man.' I said that WWTL deals with a lost culture, and IM deals with a culture which no longer belongs with the person QUOTE]

I did that combination too
everyone at school thought i was strange for choosing island man lol
Great minds think alike!
I chose to do 'Limbo' with WWTL...thought it was a really nice, easy, open ended question...I mean, you had to talk about how culture was presented in a bunch of different cultures poems!

Also...is anyone here from a non-British culture? I find I usually always do the describe question and talk about my Indian roots. I described my grandmother's home in India for question 5 and said basically how I considered it to be my true home and all.
Reply 86
i did cluster 2 search for my tongue but i was a bit silly and picked half caste as the other poem as i can see on here most people picked presents from my aunts and hurricane hits englans

how many marks will i lose?

Im aimin for a C and i got a b on my coursework and all the other papers when ok

should get it fingers crossed
Reply 87
I did Search for my tongue and Half -Caste too
Reply 88
adams101
i did cluster 2 search for my tongue but i was a bit silly and picked half caste as the other poem as i can see on here most people picked presents from my aunts and hurricane hits englans

Im aimin for a C and i got a b on my coursework and all the other papers when ok

You wont loose many if at all if your content is good, the poem you chose if fine as it is again linked to culture and identity, however it;s more what you wrote.

As you may be able to tell from looking my other posts, I did search for my tongue and love after love, unusual and no one else from my school did it,but i felt it was the best poem to pick.
Reply 89
You WONT loose marks for picking different poems at all! As long as you answer the question.
The question said WE CAN CHOOSE, so what if everyone else did other poems, it just makes your paper unique :smile:
Reply 90
matthew.
You wont loose many if at all if your content is good, the poem you chose if fine as it is again linked to culture and identity, however it;s more what you wrote.

As you may be able to tell from looking my other posts, I did search for my tongue and love after love, unusual and no one else from my school did it,but i felt it was the best poem to pick.

Yep same, I felt love after love had a lot to do with him FINDING his identity, and search being about her KNOWING her identity, therefore they are important :smile:
adams101

Half-Caste might not have been the best choice in terms of what to talk about, but the poem was as equally fitting for use in the response as "Presents...". You won't lose any marks just because you picked that poem, and nor will I because I did it too.
If anyone did search and presents, how did you compare them?
hey..... erm i did for section 2 the one about describing my home and am worried i might of messed up....can anyone give their opinion...

well bascially i started by questioning the definition of home, n then saying my definition of home was my own imagination then just described a random places in my head.....is that going to get me marks or will i av jus blown it?
My teacher said What Were They Like had never come up before... so I revised like crazy and it payed off! Compared it with Limbo and got really into it...

And my childhood memory was immense!
Reply 95
These English exams are so easy to predict!

For the English literature, I mainly revised death as that has never come up in an exam before - managed to write about five pages!

For the first English paper, I was hoping something about mobile phones would come up. It was mainly about smoking, but I was half right!

For the second paper, I thought it was going to be about Search For My Tongue so I mainly revised that. I nearly fainted when I saw Sujata Bhatt's name through the front cover!

I'm so lucky :smile:
Reply 96
Whsat was your childhood memory?
Reply 97
I do AQA Spec B, and we had to analyse this poem from the pre-release booklet (After The Deluge; not Après La Guerre) about a corrupt government worker in comparison with an unseen poem called At Day's End I think? And to make task interesting, the unseen poem had absolutely nothing to do with the first; it was about an old woman who, despite her age, was dignified and proud..

Oh and we had to write a balanced argument under the heading: "In some coutries, older people are treated badly. Describe the treatment of old people in your town and state your opinion. Explain what you think the future of old people in your area will be".

Ahh you've got to love AQA B.. :p:
Reply 98
The Humble Mosquito
Given that I love writing, that wasn't so bad. :biggrin:

u freak
Reply 99
style

u freak

:fight: Writing is great!

Latest