Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How can you get above 80% on a exam essay style question in science?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm currently in the final year of university doing a science based degree.Please can anyone give me tips on how i can tackle this questions.

My exam consists of six questions and you must answer three - you have a free choice (questions are not in sections). The topics covered can be grouped as follows, and there will be at least one question per group:

1) Blood grouping (and haemolytic disease of the newborn), transfusion and stem cell transplantation (3 lectures)
    2) Haematological malignancies* (3 lectures)
    2) Haemostasis (testing, factor deficiencies (eg haemophilia) and von willebrand disease) (2 lectures)
    4) Red cell biology and anaemia (3 lectures)

I have been given an answer outline for a past paper question but i don't know how i should use this in my note and what else i need to know more to get above 80% in essay style questions.I have also spoken to my lecturer and she say use the outline answer as a guideline.

This past paper question and answer given by the module lecturer.
    a) Describe, with reasons, the characteristic laboratory test results seen in the presence of a haemolytic anaemia (30%)
    b) Compare and contrast the aetiology and pathogenesis of three types of haemolytic anaemia. Include in your answer the characteristic laboratory tests (and their results) used to aid diagnosis. (70%)
    Outline answer
    a) Answer should include the full blood count, reticulocyte count and the blood film as essential initial investigations. There is likely to be reduced Hb, and if the reticulocyte count is raised, there may be an increased MCV. Increased retic numbers reflects increased bone marrow activity and erythropoiesis, and on a blood film the retics can be seen as larger blue-tinged cells (polychromasia). Prolonged disease can result in the appearance of nucleated red blood cells on a blood film. The pathological basis of haemolytic anaemia is the destruction of red blood cells, which is often reflected on a blood film by the appearance of schistocytes (red cell fragments) and spherocytes (damaged shape) – answer should distinguish between characteristics of intravascular versus extravascular haemolysis.
    b) Answer may discuss any haemolytic anaemia – those discussed in the course are: Haemoglobinopathies (thalassaemia, sickle cell), membrane defects (hereditary spherocytosis) and enzyme defects (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency)

Please can help would be really appreciated.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.