The Student Room Group

PGCE Bursary + Tuition Fees

I was at an interview last week where the course leader was going over the bursaries available - in our case £25k, and then proceeded to say 'but your tuition also comes out of that'. Is this true? I was under the impression that we are still entitled to a tuition fee loan.

Reason I'm worried is that I am a career-changer, so currently on 38k, mortgage etc. I really want to teach but had been put off my the starting salary, after a lot of working things out I realised that I can do it (without selling my house) If I get both the bursary and tuition loan and put away 8-10k of it to subsidise myself for the first few years of teaching until my salary starts to rise and my partners salary also goes up. I know it means giving up a lot but I really want to teach.

I'm not too worried about the tuition loan as I'm not going to pay off my current student loan before the 30 years is up anyway.
Have a look on here, if you can't find the answer, give them a call (free) they're pretty helpful.
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/bursaries-and-funding

I'm pretty sure the tuition is a separate payment. You apply to student finance for that.

Also, join the ITT group on FB (see signature link)
Reply 2
Yeh I've had a look, I called them and they said "should be able to " but they still seemed a bit unsure. Was hoping someone who has had both could confirm.

Thanks - I'll have a look at the FB group :smile:
Reply 3
Doing the course this year, and while you get the bursary you have to pay the tuition fee through students loan company.
You should be able to get a normal tuition fee loan via student finance to pay your tuition fees.

I got a £20,000 bursary and could have paid for my fees out of that. But I chose to get the student loan and use some of the bursary towards buying a new car (which I needed, as mine was 12 years old and costing me a fair bit in repairs).

Whilst I oppose the tuition fee loan in that I believe that education should be paid for out of general taxation, not treated as a commodity to be purchased, in practical terms it is a good deal. If I hadn't taken out a tuition fee loan, I would have probably ended up needing to get a loan for a car. Which would mean higher interest rates and committing to paying it back every month even if I wasn't earning. Whereas with the tuition fee loan you have the security of knowing that if you don't find a job, or take a career break later on, you won't have to pay it back.
I got a £30,000 bursary and full student finance at like £7,200. They're independent.
Reply 6
Original post by Findlay6

Also, join the ITT group on FB (see signature link)

Can't find signature link. Where should I be looking? Forgive my lack of TSR skills :s-smilie:
Original post by maaash
Can't find signature link. Where should I be looking? Forgive my lack of TSR skills :s-smilie:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1617
Reply 8

Ah thanks! It's a closed group rather than secret though :frown: . I haven't handed in my notice at work yet and have quite a few friends from work on FB who I don't want to see that I've joined the group. I'll join once I've handed it in.
Original post by maaash
Ah thanks! It's a closed group rather than secret though :frown: . I haven't handed in my notice at work yet and have quite a few friends from work on FB who I don't want to see that I've joined the group. I'll join once I've handed it in.

I don't think it tells people that you've joined :s
if so, just delete from your timeline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending