Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Computer Games Art - any good advice for an EU student?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hey all!

I'm from Hungary, and I am planning on studying Computer Games Art at ARU from this September. I have received a great conditional offer which will not be hard to achieve, thankfully. I have also received an offer from another uni, but ARU would have been my first choice anyway, so I will put that second.

My first question is, since I am a little nervous about it, is if I put Anglia Ruskin as my first choice and meet the requirements that have been specified in my conditional offer, will I be accepted for the course for sure? I will receive my final exam grades around the middle of June and at least a few days will be needed to have the documents translated to English as proof, so I am afraid I will run out of time.

Second question is mainly for current and graduated Computer Games Art or other art students at the uni, but any other response is appreciated. What are your experiences about the course and the university? Did you get what you were expecting when you applied to the uni in general? Are there any downsides to it? Any advice would be highly appreciated, I tried to dig around the internet for opinions, but I found only a few about this course whatsoever.

I am also very interested in accomodation and jobs around Cambridge. What is the cheapest kind of accomodation I can get around there? I am thinking about a shared house or apartment, because I have checked the prices of dorm rooms, and it seems like the cheaper option to me. I have saved up some money last year so I can pay for plane tickets and accomodation in advance but once I arrive to Cambridge I will be pretty much broke. Is it hard to get a decent student job? What kind of jobs are available there?

Last but not least, I would like to know more about the student life. I am afraid I will have a hard time making friends and settling in since I'm from another country, not to mention I am a bit shy in general. I will try to make the most of it and get involved in clubs/societies, could you tell me anything about them and how they work? Also can you recommend any nice and cheap restaurants/bars and clubs, any concert places around town? I won't have much money so the cheaper they are the better.

Sorry for making this so long and I hope some of you can answer! Thank you so much in advance! Have a nice day all!

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.