The Student Room Group

Anyone else finding the access course really tough?!

I'm on the science pathway, and have around 6 weeks to go. The workload is immense..we've got around 4 weeks until half term and I have 5 assignments to complete before then (all whole units). I know the whole point of the course is to put you under pressure, but THIS much pressure? Anyone else thinking F*ck this for a laugh?!
Reply 1
Original post by smellybelly1991
I'm on the science pathway, and have around 6 weeks to go. The workload is immense..we've got around 4 weeks until half term and I have 5 assignments to complete before then (all whole units). I know the whole point of the course is to put you under pressure, but THIS much pressure? Anyone else thinking F*ck this for a laugh?!

Ive asked for this to be moved to the mature student forum where you might get more replies. But Access courses are known to be tough as you're studying a lot of work in one year, might not have studied recently, and also might have family or other commitments.
I'm fu*cked off because ours was moving at a slow pace(we had no assignments for 4 weeks over Xmas or 2 weeks over Easter) and now we've been given a shed load of work to do, right at the time I need to revise for a GCSE Maths resit.

It'll all be worth it in the end.:smile:

Just after Easter I had 6 to complete in 2weeks and I felt just the same. There was 3 in my class quit (they have come back now). It has definitely calmed down since then. My exams are in 2 weeks and we still have assignments due next week. Just need to push through these last few weeks and we'll be done. Can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on a science access course too, and have six assignments with a hand-in date of the 27th of May; two have been taught but I've not started, two we only started being taught last week and two we haven't even touched yet.
The atmosphere in college is stress-filled to say the least.

That said, they only set the hand in dates so early so that everyone gets a wriggle on and does the work. Inevitably people won't finish by then and are then given 'extra' time to hand it in.
If your college is the same as mine you effectively have until the end of June to complete.
Reply 5
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Inevitably people won't finish by then and are then given 'extra' time to hand it in.
If your college is the same as mine you effectively have until the end of June to complete.

Err.... no.

I finished my Access to Science course recently, and our tutors made it quite clear that anything handed in after the submission date (unless an extension was given to an individual in advance) would be capped at a Pass, regardless of whether or not the content was worthy of a Distinction.

It kind of irks me that some Access students at other colleges get away with this, even more so when it's because they can't be bothered to do the work on time.
Reply 6
Haters gonna hate.

I'm going to an RG university btw. You?

Received and exceeded an offer made for Pharmacy by Durham by 15 Distinctions.

I mean.... some RG universities, such as Exeter, do not even require Distinctions for some Science related degrees that they offer. It's not really something to brag about when non-RG universities like Bath make much more demanding offers for their courses.
Original post by m_james
Received and exceeded an offer made for Pharmacy by Durham by 15 Distinctions.

I mean.... some RG universities, such as Exeter, do not even require Distinctions for some Science related degrees that they offer. It's not really something to brag about when non-RG universities like Bath make much more demanding offers for their courses.

Where are you actually going to though, out of interest?

And who's bragging? It is just a good indication of how well my application was received by very good universities that are at the top of my field (neuroscience).

Additionally, my first post sought to allay the concerns of the OP, not to draw attention to how my college is handling assignment deadlines.
I have never handed in an assignment late and have distinctions across the board.
Reply 8
Where are you actually going to though, out of interest?

And who's bragging? It is just a good indication of how well my application was received by very good universities that are at the top of my field (neuroscience).

Additionally, my first post sought to allay the concerns of the OP, not to draw attention to how my college is handling assignment deadlines.
I have never handed in an assignment late and have distinctions across the board.

I'm not 100% sure right now as I've also decided to apply to a couple of universities within the EU, so I'm still trying to make my mind up about what is best for me and whether or not to stay here. Pharmacy isn't exactly the best profession these days in terms of employment levels and career opportunities, especially in the UK. :frown:

One could easily mistake you for bragging whenever you bring the fact that you're going to a university, which is part of the Russell Group, into the conversation. Do you look down on universities that aren't 'RG'?

Good for you if you're not handing in late like others are doing at your college, and best of luck with the rest of your assignments. :h:
Reply 9
Yeah it's tough, I think the work itself wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so rushed. It's just the sheer amount of it to be in! We have 6 weeks left and still have way too much to get done, if I start thinking about it I stress out so just trying to get my head down and get through it one assignment at a time. How are you doing with grades so far?
I wish my college was like that, we've been told all our assignments HAVE to be in and marked by June 14th, no excuses! Extensions are given out too easily on my course, fair enough if you're struggling with the 6 assignments on at one go and you can't get a piece of work finished..but there are a few lazy bastards who go to our tutor the day of hand in for an assignment saying 'I haven't started it yet'..only to get an extension!
Original post by m_james
I'm not 100% sure right now as I've also decided to apply to a couple of universities within the EU, so I'm still trying to make my mind up about what is best for me and whether or not to stay here. Pharmacy isn't exactly the best profession these days in terms of employment levels and career opportunities, especially in the UK. :frown:

One could easily mistake you for bragging whenever you bring the fact that you're going to a university, which is part of the Russell Group, into the conversation. Do you look down on universities that aren't 'RG'?

Good for you if you're not handing in late like others are doing at your college, and best of luck with the rest of your assignments. :h:

Yes, it can be the mark of a bellend bringing up RG universities; I only mention it as, well, like it or not, they are very good universities for science degrees and receive a lot of funding for research. I don't look down on universities for being non-RG, no.

What made you pick a pharmacy degree?
Reply 12
Yes, it can be the mark of a bellend bringing up RG universities; I only mention it as, well, like it or not, they are very good universities for science degrees and receive a lot of funding for research. I don't look down on universities for being non-RG, no.

What made you pick a pharmacy degree?

I don't disagree with you at all when it comes to funding for research.

Honestly, I want to study something that blends both science and healthcare, and I have quite a bit of experience through working as a Pharmacy Tech before I decided to embark on the Access course. Ultimately, the goal is to try and get a Pre-reg place in a hospital setting but the competition is absolutely insane these days.

What are you planning to study at university? and what's the goal? :smile:
Original post by m_james
I don't disagree with you at all when it comes to funding for research.

Honestly, I want to study something that blends both science and healthcare, and I have quite a bit of experience through working as a Pharmacy Tech before I decided to embark on the Access course. Ultimately, the goal is to try and get a Pre-reg place in a hospital setting but the competition is absolutely insane these days.

What are you planning to study at university? and what's the goal? :smile:

Your motivations seem admirable. Mine are a little more selfish; I'm going to study (medical) neuroscience with the aim to help in the fight against neurodegenerative disorders, depression and the like. I really want to be as educated as I can be and help stop people having to see their loved ones forget who they are... which happened to me, hence the selfish side of it.

If you have a lot of experience as a pharmacy tech then surely that's a great step up on the ladder?
Original post by m_james
Err.... no.

I finished my Access to Science course recently, and our tutors made it quite clear that anything handed in after the submission date (unless an extension was given to an individual in advance) would be capped at a Pass, regardless of whether or not the content was worthy of a Distinction.

It kind of irks me that some Access students at other colleges get away with this, even more so when it's because they can't be bothered to do the work on time.

Mine's really lenient, although I've always been on time with the graded modules anyway.

The tutor said they always set the research project with a deadline at the end of April, then nobody does it on time and gets it in for the cut off point in June.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending