The Student Room Group

Really struggling with History (OCR)

I'm in A2 year studying French, History and Religious Studies.

I'm fine with the other two, but revising History has been a pain in the neck. No matter how much I revise, I can't get my head around the essay structure- it's getting me so frustrated. My teacher has predicted me a D/E and I've honestly been trying but I don't seem to be learning from my mistakes. I've asked my teacher time and time again but it's like he can't help me. I think I understand his feedback but I go and do another essay question and get a D or a C.

Any help from any former/current OCR History student would be great, thanks.
Also, good luck for all of your upcoming exams.
I've moved your question to the History forum where you're more likely to get responses.
Reply 2
Original post by JManning
I'm in A2 year studying French, History and Religious Studies.

I'm fine with the other two, but revising History has been a pain in the neck. No matter how much I revise, I can't get my head around the essay structure- it's getting me so frustrated. My teacher has predicted me a D/E and I've honestly been trying but I don't seem to be learning from my mistakes. I've asked my teacher time and time again but it's like he can't help me. I think I understand his feedback but I go and do another essay question and get a D or a C.

Any help from any former/current OCR History student would be great, thanks.
Also, good luck for all of your upcoming exams.

Write thematically, not chronologically.
Draw comparisons - writing about 2 factors separately in the same paragraph won't get many marks. You need to say which had more of an effect etc
Use your knowledge to build an argument - instead of "in x year, y happened," write "in x year, y happened which affected //question// because ----, and is also similar to this other thing that happened in this other year. however y thing had more of an overall effect because ----"
Link to the question explicitly (i.e. pretty much write out the question) literally every paragraph

(However I'm in the same boat - from an A at AS, a high C is the highest I've managed this year...)

What topic are you doing?
Reply 3
Thanks for your help

I'm doing Civil Rights in the USA.
Women, Native Americans, African Americans and Trade Unions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending