The Student Room Group

UCAS personal statement help??

I've chosen to do a Social Care and Criminology and Criminal Justice course (left it until the last minute stupidly!!) anyway, I'm still confused on what I even want to be in life! However this course is extremely interesting and suits something I'd like to do. Anyway, I'm stuck on my personal statement as I've only done childcare so I don't know how my experience would link? ALSO how do I even start a personal statement as I've been here hours and I'm still completely baffled!!
Check out the PS builder tool in my signature below :smile: The intro is often the hardest part, so I would either leave it, or start with 'I want to study X because...' as a place holder. You should talk about why you are interested in the course, e.g. through extra reading. It doesn't matter if it doesn't relate to your current educational experience, as we generally suggest to not to talk about A Levels :smile:
Original post by Hannah96123
I've chosen to do a Social Care and Criminology and Criminal Justice course (left it until the last minute stupidly!!) anyway, I'm still confused on what I even want to be in life! However this course is extremely interesting and suits something I'd like to do. Anyway, I'm stuck on my personal statement as I've only done childcare so I don't know how my experience would link? ALSO how do I even start a personal statement as I've been here hours and I'm still completely baffled!!

Hi there, unfortunately it's impossible for anyone to tell you how to start your PS as it really does need to be your own work and personal to you, but there are plenty of tools and examples on this site which should help you to get started.

Have you looked at the PS builder tool? I'd recommend this to get a rough draft going and then refine it from there. It will take you through the process of writing a personal statement step by step. I've linked here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_help.

There are also some great tools on TSR under the 'applying to uni' heading which should give you some ideas, and there are quite a few examples which might give you an idea of the sort of tone you should be using, although obviously don't plagiarise these and be aware that some of them are better than others.

Regarding your childcare experience, you need to consider the transferable skills you have gained through this (e.g. dealing with challenging behaviour) and then discuss how these apply to careers in the subjects you want to do. Writing a PS with an end career in mind is a lot easier, so I would also recommend looking into careers that you might be interested in, as there isn't much point doing a degree which doesn't lead to a career you'd like to do.

If you have any further questions after you've got a draft, feel free to quote me (so that I see your message) and I'll help as best as I can, but remember not to post any of your PS on the forums. :smile:
Reply 3
Hey thanks for your reply, it's helped a lot! I've decided that I would like to be a social worker so doing a post graduate degree after this. Do I have to speak about all 3 subjects or is it possible to just speak about the social care bit on the personal statement?
Original post by Charlotte49
Hi there, unfortunately it's impossible for anyone to tell you how to start your PS as it really does need to be your own work and personal to you, but there are plenty of tools and examples on this site which should help you to get started.

Have you looked at the PS builder tool? I'd recommend this to get a rough draft going and then refine it from there. It will take you through the process of writing a personal statement step by step. I've linked here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_help.

There are also some great tools on TSR under the 'applying to uni' heading which should give you some ideas, and there are quite a few examples which might give you an idea of the sort of tone you should be using, although obviously don't plagiarise these and be aware that some of them are better than others.

Regarding your childcare experience, you need to consider the transferable skills you have gained through this (e.g. dealing with challenging behaviour) and then discuss how these apply to careers in the subjects you want to do. Writing a PS with an end career in mind is a lot easier, so I would also recommend looking into careers that you might be interested in, as there isn't much point doing a degree which doesn't lead to a career you'd like to do.

If you have any further questions after you've got a draft, feel free to quote me (so that I see your message) and I'll help as best as I can, but remember not to post any of your PS on the forums. :smile:
You should talk about all subjects in a combined honours course. Given that you do not need to do this course to qualify to be a SW, you need to focus on your academic interest in the subjects than wanting to be a social worker - save that when you apply for the masters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending