The Student Room Group

can you get a good job with a 2:2 degree from a top 20 university?

I'm at University of Birmingham, currently ranked 4th in country for career prospects (consistently bubbling outside the top 15 in league tables). I'm not hugely bothered about 'grad schemes' or applying for a 'Top Firm' or whatever, I just want to be able to hand in my CV for a decent job without it being chucked in the bin.

I don't have my degree yet but I'm on the cusp between a 2:2 and a 2:1 (currently very stressed about it). I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts course if that makes any difference (so not a Science or Business or anything) in a core subject (English).

Basically the question is, does the reputation of the university you went to (i.e. a decent Russell Group) still transfer advantage when applying for a job, even if you've got a 2:2? Or am I severely disadvantaged regardless if I don't get a 2:1?

EDIT: I also have extenuating circumstances because I've had an ongoing medical problem which has impacted my studies - does that get taken into consideration when applying for a job?
(edited 7 years ago)
It will probably help a bit (especially if you are on the cusp and explain that), however most jobs are looking for 2:1s. But you'll find that in roles where there are fewer applications that they'll still look through your CV. A 2:2 isn't the end of the world and relevant work experience will definitely help your case.
Reply 2
Of course you can.
Original post by dean01234
It will probably help a bit (especially if you are on the cusp and explain that), however most jobs are looking for 2:1s. But you'll find that in roles where there are fewer applications that they'll still look through your CV. A 2:2 isn't the end of the world and relevant work experience will definitely help your case.

what do you mean by 'most jobs'?
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
what do you mean by 'most jobs'?

As in most jobs that I've seen that specifically advertise they're looking for graduates. Its the minority which don't specify a 2:1, but with extenuating circumstances as well as going to a decent uni I think that if you're on the cusp that you'll be fine.
'a job' - yes.

'a good job' - define, 'good' and define 'job'.

'a top grad job' - unlikely

The question is too broad. Also the fact you're using league table 'grad prospects' as a measure of how strong you believe your degree is, is a patently naive way of thinking.

1. Figure out what you want to do and why
2. Figure out which companies offer the role you want to do
3. Network with people at said companies, they'll give you a bit of insight into the work involved and how you can best prep yourself
4. Apply

All these 'chance me for a job' threads are so pointless. Go out there and get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I too am on the cusp of a 2:1 and 2:2 and am fretting about it! Does anyone have any advice for the way forward if I do get a 2:2? I am interested in working in accountancy and/or financial services.
Your chances are dramatically reduced. You will be barred from applying for many graduate jobs. The key is to get into a job where you can build up experience and professional qualifications. Once you are into an organisation, then you have to work on experience. Experience and perofrmance will matter more, but the degree lets you get your foot in the door.
good university, bad degree, bad classification
a bad university, good degree, good classification would serve you better
I know at the stage you're at exam results, especially degree classification, seem the most important thing in the world. But, really they are not. A good degree will help you get your first job, maybe, but after that your experience, performance, people skills, organisation skills, on going qualifications etc. will be paramount.

You need work experience relevant to the field you are interested in. This does not mean necessarily in exactly the same field but experience that shows initiative, persistence, hard work, ability to get on with people etc. This can be got through charities, volunteering, hobbies, work in University societies etc. If you can show this , it may well trump purely academic qualifications.

Many employers ( big companies, the NHS, Universities etc.) will pay for you to do professional exams for career development once you have started with them. ( Even if your first job is not at a very high level at all.) It's often just a question of getting your foot in at the door and then searching the weekly bulletin for opportunities to apply for. It may well be worthwhile just getting a temporary job, say for a maternity leave cover, in an organisation you know is a good employer because once in you may have preference over outsiders for any other job that comes up.

Chat with folk a year or two older than you about their jobs and see how you can get in to their companies .
A lot of graduate recruiting schemes ask for a 2:1.

But most graduate in professional jobs don't get a job on a grad recruitment scheme. They just apply for entry level posts that ask for a degree at a local employer.

Do your research about what you want to do. Get experience if you haven't already and get applying - that will give you much more reassurance than replies on TSR.

And fwiw. My sister got a great job with an ordinary degree (failed dissertation) from an ex poly. Her first job was *just* telesales but within a year she had overtaken people on the grad recruitment scheme.

Find what you enjoy and can do well and get out there and do it.
nothing stopping you from getting a regular job starting at the lower ranks and working your way up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending