The Student Room Group

My thoughts on AS level physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Logic4Life
Overall I think Physics is by far my hardest A level option. When I open an exam paper the mechanics, electricity and Waves just stump me no matter how many times I practise. I am fine with Particles and Materials as they are generally straightforward IMO. But how are you guys finding Physics if you are taking it at A level?

I'm doing A Level Physics. For Physics, you need to take it topic by topic and master each topic, what I mean by that is, you need to understand fully and deeply the topic, there is no remembering things in Physics that won't get you anywhere. You just need to go very deep into each topic and understand them at their very core, this way you can tackle any question, because you know it so well. I say this from experience, I got A in AS Physics and getting A* in A level Physics.

What I suggest now, as you are doing a past paper, when you come across questions or parts of questions you don't understand write it down somewhere just quickly e.g. 5(b) or whatever. Do this for all the questions you didn't answer or didn't get. This way it won't take time because you can straight away move to the next question. Once you are finished with the paper, mark yourself. Now you go back to the list of the questions you wrote down as you did the paper, those are basically your weaknesses, what you need to do now is go into each of those topics and make them your best, strongest topic, and I really mean it, make it your strength rather than your weakness, understand everything about that topic. Do this for all the questions you wrote down. After 4 past papers you should be unstoppable.
Original post by Chickenslayer69
Yeah, the older papers were easy - try doing the specimen papers, they are considerably harder.

I did the 2014 AQA paper as my mock in my school and they were far easier compared to Edexcel physics.

Even though the AQA Grade boundary is higher and Edexcel GB is lower. I guess GB compensates for Edexcel a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest