The Student Room Group

How can i study in England?

Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong section, wasnt sure where to post it so feel free to move, just looking for some general advice :smile:

Currently 24 work as an Electronics Engineer in a mobile phone shop i fix phones and electronics ect never really found what i want to do but im hugely into motorbikes, dont really know anything about mechanics or engines but im thinking why not turn a passion of mine or interest into a career or trade.

Im getting on in life and 6 years ill be 30, id like to learn the motorbike mechanic trade and there is plenty of work and places for jobs and i could easily travel with this trade.

I currently live in Northern Ireland and as far as im aware there is no place here to study Motorcycle Mechanics. I could easily find a college or somewhere in england where i can study this for a couple of years but how do i support myself when im there?

I could bring my bike over thats transport sorted

where would i live? i could get a flat share or something but how could i afford this?

i can get a part time job, plenty of phone shops over there too and i know my stuff but can i study a trade and work part time and still have enough to live on?

i still live at home but i wouldnt recieve any financial help so i would need to survive there on my own, anyone got any ideas? im really stuck on how i go about this !

thanks alot
Englands not that great mate.
But if you still want to come its all about getting a visa and job.
Original post by anonforme
Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong section, wasnt sure where to post it so feel free to move, just looking for some general advice :smile:

Currently 24 work as an Electronics Engineer in a mobile phone shop i fix phones and electronics ect never really found what i want to do but im hugely into motorbikes, dont really know anything about mechanics or engines but im thinking why not turn a passion of mine or interest into a career or trade.

Im getting on in life and 6 years ill be 30, id like to learn the motorbike mechanic trade and there is plenty of work and places for jobs and i could easily travel with this trade.

I currently live in Northern Ireland and as far as im aware there is no place here to study Motorcycle Mechanics. I could easily find a college or somewhere in england where i can study this for a couple of years but how do i support myself when im there?

I could bring my bike over thats transport sorted

where would i live? i could get a flat share or something but how could i afford this?

i can get a part time job, plenty of phone shops over there too and i know my stuff but can i study a trade and work part time and still have enough to live on?

i still live at home but i wouldnt recieve any financial help so i would need to survive there on my own, anyone got any ideas? im really stuck on how i go about this !

thanks alot

I feel it will be cheaper in the Republic (and probably better overall)
Reply 3
i dont need a visa ^ heh

Could always look at the republic, same problems still arise though, how to live and work at the same time? what if the course is full time i couldnt live on a part time wage ect ect, kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I dont understand why you would get no support as it would be based on your income not your parents as a mature student. Would you not get a student loan as Northern Ireland is part of the Uk and you could also work part time to earn extra money.
Just select a course and then contact the college to see what funding is available for funding you.
24+ loans
Discretionary learner support.
Career development loan (although the terms are tougher)
https://www.gov.uk/further-education-courses/financial-help
Reply 6
I have a HNC, i was on track for a HND but dropped out due to not liking the course so i am currently paying that back at the moment, what would be the best way to do this?

choose a college/course i would like to attend
ask about funding
ask about accommodation? would i need to find this myself?

i wonder would i NEED to work as i expect a trade course would take up a lot of my time.

thanks for your replies so far !
Reply 7
sorry for the double post, how would i also go about finding or choosing a college?

i am trying to google some but i cant find many colleges its all those like businesses that provide training courses for extortionate fees.

How do other people do it? If they do it, it can't be impossible! Find a course and research the institution and how students survive financially. Colleges can't run courses that no-one can afford to attend and live on.
Reply 9

What about this in Ballymena?
http://www.nrc.ac.uk/nrc/news/article/nrc-and-the-craft-of-motorcycle-maintenance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending