The Student Room Group

Mini Blog: Puddles visits Oxford

So I was very lucky to be invited to stay the night at Brasenose College this week. I have never been to Oxford before so it was my first time visiting the city and the university.

It was awesome to visit, I met a lot of lovely people :h:

For anyone else who has never been, and wants to know what it's like, here's what happened!

1) Oxford looks like something out of fantasy novel:

I had been told before how picturesque Oxford is but I wasn’t prepared for how literal that description is. It doesn’t look real. Turns out film companies shell out mega bucks just to film there.

This was the view from my room:

2) Guest rooms are lovely and have excellent tea and coffee making facilities

It’s kind of like staying in a big house. Upon arrival there was: A packet of custard creams; A different type of biscuit that I forget the name of; Coffee; Milk; and:two different types of English breakfast tea, Tetly and Twinings, depending on your preference.

3) There’s this pub called The Rickety Press which does the best chips I’ve ever had

I think they were the Cheese and Truffle chips. They are like nothing I’ve ever eaten before, in a good way. It’s worth going to Oxford just to get those chips.

4) I can still pass for 18.
Everyone was super lovely and someone who looks after applicants during interviews even asked me if I was applying this year which is literally the best compliment I've ever received. :rofl:

5) Brasenose College has a giant that lives in the Chapel
I'm not lying.

6) I made an idiot of myself
Okay, there was an instruction that breakfast is served in the Hall. I went to the Hall but I wasn't sure I was right, found my way to the canteen and got told to go back to the Hall. I went to the big table at the end of the Hall and still had no idea what was going on. I was wondering around pathetically until a very pleasant grown up told me to sit down, gave me a tea and informed me someone will come and take my order. :lol: I'm a dingus.

Then everyone else at the big table had to leave so I was up there by myself. So I imposed myself on the College Chaplain and some students instead who were very welcoming and told me about everything there is to do in Oxford. :redface:

7) There's a really great Natural History museum

It's beautiful. It also is very hands on and lets you touch things, which I think is really good in museums. It has some amazing dinosaur skeletons and whale skeletons.

8) At Brasenose there's a lot of emphasis on helping students feel relaxed during interviews
I thought this was quite lovely and I didn't know this happened. People coming in for interviews get looked after by current students and they can play games, chill out and chat to current students beforehand, which sounds great.

9) There's croquet
A totally brutal game that's worth playing if you've not played it before.

I think I've covered most things but I will add more if I remember :lol: Also AMA about my visit I guess?

Scroll to see replies

Glad you've had a good time in O-Town.

Top tip though

Spoiler

:ninja:

If you're still there, make sure you have a Combibos breakfast at Combibos coffee shop on Gloucester Green, next to the coach station. Or I'll disown you forever :nothing:

The weather sure looks lovely. :K:
Haha, this made me laugh so much!!! I guess I don't appreciate Oxford much at all, and see it as somewhere that I go more out of necessity than out of pleasure...

Love the bit about the order though :rofl:
Reply 4
Original post by mobbsy91
Haha, this made me laugh so much!!! I guess I don't appreciate Oxford much at all, and see it as somewhere that I go more out of necessity than out of pleasure...

Love the bit about the order though :rofl:

Haha same. Everyone says living near Oxford must be great... it really isn't. :redface:

Cambridge IMO is much nicer.
Original post by jamestg
Haha same. Everyone says living near Oxford must be great... it really isn't. :redface:

Exactly!!! :fuhrer: Fellow near oxfordians get me :biggrin:
Good lord it does look like its from a fantasy story.
Damn everything looks so amazing
Original post by jamestg

:reaper:
Croquet is indeed brutal.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad you've had a good time in O-Town.

Top tip though

Spoiler

If you're still there, make sure you have a Combibos breakfast at Combibos coffee shop on Gloucester Green, next to the coach station. Or I'll disown you forever :nothing:

Oooh nooo - I was only there for one night so I was already back in Brighton when I posted this. Next time I'll try Combibos. :wink:

:lol:

Original post by SeanFM
The weather sure looks lovely. :K:

Yeah... sadly my phone camera lens cover is cracked so I need to put filters on my pictures otherwise you can't see anything. Hence the super moody weather :rofl:
Original post by nexttime
Croquet is indeed brutal.

We had a set when we were kids and it caused sooooo many fights :rofl:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
We had a set when we were kids and it caused sooooo many fights :rofl:

Trouble with fights and croquet, is that the mallets (or whatever they're called) are incredibly good (and dangerous) weapons...!
Even though I go to the other place, that looks pretty cool!

Do you now plan on visiting Cambridge for a positive trajectory of impressiveness of places visited? :mmm:
can you describe the mystery biscuit puddles ? or draw it ? we want to help you identify it...

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
can you describe the mystery biscuit puddles ? or draw it ? we want to help you identify it...

:holmes:

I have a photo:

biscuit.jpg
Original post by toblerone eater

Do you now plan on visiting Cambridge for a positive trajectory of impressiveness of places visited? :mmm:

Well.... if I got an invitation I maybe I might consider about it.... :innocent: I'd need to make a scientifically accurate comparison of the biscuit selection after all. :teehee:
I have a photo:

biscuit.jpg

the word on the street is ....

Spoiler

Original post by the bear
the word on the street is ....

Spoiler

I don't know, it seemed to have some kind of jam in the middle :holmes:
I don't know, it seemed to have some kind of jam in the middle :holmes:

jam you say ?