Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

uniformed public services?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    hi, im wanting to join the military and I would say I'm quite smart. I'm wondering if you have any advice on whether I should do uniformed public services or get a levels thanks

    A levels give you more options and are more widely accepted / known everywhere else. They are a better back up plan as well.

    I did a Btec in public services, hasn't held me back, I now almost completed my degree in sport and physical education. I had a change of mind in terms of direction but Btec course had units relevant towards degree and I had work experience in sport and physical education. Study what you want, Btecs are less known but you can still go to uni with them.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    Depends what trade/ job you want to do. If you want to be an officer, do A levels. If you want to be an engineer then it would be better for you to do a btec in engineering or a levels in maths and physics. That way you have a better understanding of the trade, the academics behind it and so on. On the other hand, if you wish to join the infantry the public services would be a good choice.

    If you mean the British army, you can join at 16 and do an "apprenticeship" during you training, which is what i'm doing.

    If you would like to be an officer, go for A levels and/or a degree. A levels will give you a good plan B but you can still gain good qualifications in the army, especially if you do a trade role.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources


Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.