The Student Room Group

Free laptop if disabled?

A friend of mine went to jordanstown university and as they were disabled received a free MacBook, printer etc. Is this just applicable to jordanstown or do queens offer this aswell? Would really appreciate if anyone could respond
Original post by Aaron1256
A friend of mine went to jordanstown university and as they were disabled received a free MacBook, printer etc. Is this just applicable to jordanstown or do queens offer this aswell? Would really appreciate if anyone could respond

All universities do this if you are officially disabled, ie you would need documents and proof
My understanding is that computers/laptops are no longer completely free: you need to stump up a certain amount of money towards them (I read £200 but that was when they were talking about doing this, rather than actually doing this) :fyi:

But generally speaking if you can prove a disability and your student finance funding body recognises you as having a disability, you will then be entitled to a Disabled Students' Allowance package tailored to your exact needs. This may or may not include computer and related software. As far as I know, they can no longer recommend Macbooks :nah:

I'm assuming you're likely not disabled
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
All universities do this if you are officially disabled, ie you would need documents and proof

easy
1. Get run over by me while i'm on my driving lesson
2.got to hospital and find out you're disabled
3. you are now disabled
4. Apply for free laptop and printer
5. i go to jail
Reply 4
Original post by thefatone
I'm assuming you're likely not disabled

easy
1. Get run over by me while i'm on my driving lesson
2.got to hospital and find out you're disabled
3. you are now disabled
4. Apply for free laptop and printer
5. i go to jail

Considering I have Crohn's disease, have flare ups maybe 3-4 times a year where I can barely get out of bed, have trouble with day to day living because of this,
Nahh you're right in not disabled
(edited 7 years ago)
The £200 only applies to SFE students.
Considering I have Crohn's disease, have flare ups maybe 3-4 times a year where I can barely get out of bed, have trouble with day to day living because of this,
Nahh you're right in not disabled, [/QUOTE]

ok calm dude it's just a joke, not harm intended
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
The £200 only applies to SFE students.

Ah that's handy to know - thanks for correcting me! :colondollar:
You also have to remember that you'll only get a laptop if your assessor feels you need one. Not every single disabled student will get a laptop.

Hello, i am currently at Newman university and the equipment you will receive if you are dyslexic will be individual to you. depending on the type of areas you struggle ect. Its not the uni that provides the assessment for the type of equipment you need or the equipment itself its disabled student finance and call student finance and then ask for disability and then they will give you the information suited to you.
Hey actually I'm a disabled student. should I got any free laptop? If I eligible to got the laptop then what is the process to do.please tell me
Original post by Ganeshgouda
Hey actually I'm a disabled student. should I got any free laptop? If I eligible to got the laptop then what is the process to do.please tell me

If you're an English student wanting to study at uni and require a laptop, you have to pay £200 upfront for it.

Quick Reply

Latest